Air Con

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

Only really noticed the last dew days, that the air-con is not especially cold. It’s been set to low (lo), but I don’t find it particularly effective.

My wife’s Yaris Cross on the other hand is great! Feels like low is the equivalent of Siberia, where the Tucson is at best cool

Al94

Post by Al94 »

Get it checked by the dealer, mine is great, cools down to the required temperature quite quickly and automated turning on of the cooled seats is a bonus. Possibly not a raw blast of ice cold air but I guess it's a trade off between efficiency and economy.
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Ultimate 5dr 2WD Auto
Big S

Post by Big S »

richarde wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:54 pm Only really noticed the last dew days, that the air-con is not especially cold. It’s been set to low (lo), but I don’t find it particularly effective.

My wife’s Yaris Cross on the other hand is great! Feels like low is the equivalent of Siberia, where the Tucson is at best cool
As you have only noticed it the last few days, have you got the recirculation button pressed so you are only cooling the air inside the car, or are you letting Ambient air in which has been 35 degrees plus lately. Even if you have the recirculation button pressed due to the temperatures we have had in cars recently the air con will have to work harder so may not feel as cool as it did before the heatwave.
Deleted User 487

Recirculation is/was off. It has been 38° here today, which is when I was in the car the longest, and other than the car being hot before setting off, Cooling me and the interior did eventually happen, just in comparison to the Yaris Cross (lovely car), cooling is not even close.
old man

Post by old man »

A previous Santa Fe of mine wasn't as efficient as other cars I've had and the air con would cut out when temps were in the high 20s. I took my Tucson to France recently where it was pretty hot. The air con coped fine but I did feel it could've felt colder sometimes. The tip about using recycled air is a good one.
Not all air con units are created equal though and some just aren't as efficient as others.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
roadster

Post by roadster »

Also remember that the AC will not be as effective in ECO mode and will take longer to respond.
Tucson PHEV Premium
old man

Post by old man »

roadster wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:51 am Also remember that the AC will not be as effective in ECO mode and will take longer to respond.
That's interesting, I didn't know that but would it prevent the air con getting as cold as the OP would like ?
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
StephenP

Post by StephenP »

Long journey in my Tuscon Ultimate plug-in today in hot weather. Air con all fine until stationary in traffic (and so in EV mode) when air no longer chills. Does the compressor not run when the the electric motor is off and their is no idling petrol engine? it was a very tough journey…
roadster

Post by roadster »

StephenP wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:48 pm Long journey in my Tuscon Ultimate plug-in today in hot weather. Air con all fine until stationary in traffic (and so in EV mode) when air no longer chills. Does the compressor not run when the the electric motor is off and their is no idling petrol engine? it was a very tough journey…
I noticed something similar and all I could do was up the fan speed as much as bearable. I didn't try taking it out of ECO mode though - "we are English and there are limits!"
Tucson PHEV Premium
Deleted User 487

In summary, the air con, combined with eco mode and EV running, is average at best.

Not necessarily a problem in the UK, but an under engineered system, that struggles to cope with a few warm days…