GPF filter

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Lollipop

Post by Lollipop »

Hi

1.6 petrol tucson new shape reg March 2021

This is my third and final post concerning the GPF filter I purchased the car from new and after only 650miles the GPF warning light came on and over the last 18months the car has been back to the dealership 5 times for a forced regeneration, I have tried all the advice given by the dealership and Hyundai to stop this happening but sadly to no avail,, Hyundai's official advice is to drive the car in 3rd gear at a constant 50mph for approx 30min on a regular basis and I did that every 3 weeks for 2 months regardless of what journeys that I had already done and it did nothing to stop the warning light coming back on, and incidentally once the warning light comes on there is nothing you can do to turn it off it has to go back to the dealership. I would hate to think what it has cost me in time and fuel carrying out futile unwanted journeys up the motorway and the time lost visiting the dealership and also the fuel wasted carrying out forced regenerations and for those who don’t know what the process entails basically the car is hooked up to laptop which puts the engine through a process of constantly high revving for about 45min and it uses about a ¼ tank of fuel to complete the process. Hyundai have offered no apology or remedy for this problem all they say it’s down to driving style, which is a copout.
Over 40 years I have had my fair share of new and used cars and I can honestly say this is the worst car that I have ever had, I have also had problems with the entertainment system, which has still not been fully rectified.
At a substantial cost to me I have waved the white flag and decided to get rid of the car, enough is enough, I would say to anyone think very carefully before you spend your hard earned cash on one of these, don’t make the same mistake as me
Lolli

old man

Post by old man »

That's a sorry tale and I'm sad for you that it's ended in this fashion. Given the info I've gleaned that GPFs should not be causing these problems, I would have thought rejection of the car may have been a possibility as the car would appear to be unfit for purpose.
I can understand a dealer trying to fob you off, but the attitude from Hyundai is disappointing to say the least and doesn't bode well for the rest of us.
Too late for you, but the head tech at my dealership told me that the GPF problem is under investigation, but it will take a long time to collate all the data from owners and workshops before they can try and find a fix. I'm guessing that if GPF complaints are minimal, they may not even bother and maybe that's why they are issuing written instructions for car owners to do their own regeneration. That's guesswork on my part though, as I really hope that Hyundai are seriously looking for a fix.
It's interesting that thus far (to my knowledge anyway - which is limited) that GPF problems are only being reported on normally aspirated cars i.e. no reported cases for hybrids or plug ins.

I've mentioned this before, but purely for info for others reading this. I asked my head tech if it was possible to extinguish the warning light without doing a full regen. He told me it was but they are not allowed to do that as Hyundai want the job done the proper way, and if it's not they will not pay the dealership for the warranty work they've done.

As for infotainment woes, it seems most of us are experiencing those. In my case, currently there's been nothing serious or worth getting worked up about and in the fullness of time these should be fixed via updates. Changing to another make of car won't alleviate that problem, especially if it's a new model. The system that came with the latest VW Golf MK 8 and then filtered into many other VAG cars was far from being fully sorted, but updates are ironing out the problems. In an ideal world this shouldn't be happening, especially considering what we are having to pay for a new car, but as we all know this is currently far from an ideal world.

Anyway Lollipop, I hope your next car serves you better and I'd be interested to know what you replace the Tucson with ?
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
focusy

Post by focusy »

can you not ask for an alternative loan Tucson, to try the same journey and see if you cause that car to get a gif light on, if you don't clearly its that car?

won't the dealer support as they have loan cars as does Hyundai
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Nowadays this is just not good enough. It sounds like you have good grounds for rejecting the vehicle or at least claiming damages to cover your costs. I think I would be telling your dealer/Hyundai that unless something is sorted to your satisfaction you will be contacting every motoring magazine/journalist you can think of and telling the world and his wife that Hyundai have a problem they either can't or won't sort out. I certainly wouldn't give up at this stage. It will take time and perhaps too much for your circumstances but I would put money on Hyundai coming up with an offer if you make enough fuss. As it seems the problem doesn't affect hybrids I would be asking the dealer to lend me a hybrid till yours was sorted.
Hayleyjj12

Post by Hayleyjj12 »

Hi, I have read a lot of reviews on the 21 model Tuscan as we have had problems since the day I got it with the gpf issue. We have tried all there instructions to manually turn the light off - nothing ever works except a forced regen!! (Tried numerous times)
I’ve been told it’s the way I drive it, Using super market fuels, Car is for distance driving, I should put a cleaner in the tank every month… list Is endless.
I’ve only had it 15 months - already had 4 forced regen!!
It has been in the garage again recently (January) and had the ‘new update’ that resolves the problem. It didn’t (no suprise!) but this time it only took it 3 weeks for the light to come back in. This is the shortest time it’s ever took to come back on. Booked it back in again… to be told it’s not covered by my warranty now as it’s ‘fixed the issue with the update’ I have refused to pay for a forced regen £71! As the car is faulty and has been since the day i got it clearly. The dealership have now gone back to Hyundai tech and they are taking my car in again to run tests !!!!! Not sure what will happen from there but wondering if anyone else is still having issues even when there car has been updated with the ‘fix’
My car does short and some longer journeys.
Also I seem to have more issues with in the winter months than the summer wonder if anyone has had similar issues like this too!
Sorry for such a long message.
AlexTUK

Post by AlexTUK »

It's very worrying, I've had mine almost 2 weeks and it hasn't come on but every journey I make (mostly short) I'm thinking about 'when will this warning come on'. Is definitely taking away the pleasure of a new car!

I get free legal advice through my work so when (kind of feels reading on here and other places it's not an if) it comes on I will be speaking to them about the options as won't be putting up with it for the next 4 years.
Hayleyjj12

Post by Hayleyjj12 »

I know how you feel Alex, it has certainly taken away the nice new car shine from me. I had only had the car 3 months when the light first came on.
I am waiting to see what they say tomorrow when I take my car back in. I feel like going back to my finance company and see where I stand as the car has always been faulty to me and not fit for purpose.
I will update with what happens in the hope it can also help others with the same issues!!
daibill

Post by daibill »

How short are your Journey's? Auto or Manual? ICE or Mhev?

To regen the filter, general rule of thumb is to get the engine up to temperature and perform engine breaking from higher revs to blow oxygen through the filter to regen it. There is a procedure on here that details it but I just use the engine to slow me down approaching junctions/roundabouts etc and not had an issue in 10k miles.
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)
Hayleyjj12

Post by Hayleyjj12 »

The car is manual
I use the car for schools runs mainly in the week and 4 days a week further with after school
Activities. And then we travel to football matches as weekends! (A general weeks use)
My husband took the car from Leicester to Mansfield on evening to try and knock it off! We have driven the car to Poole and Weymouth! The light still comes on and once on even taking it on a longer journey on the motorway doesn’t knock it off!
daibill

Post by daibill »

Long runs won't regen the filter like it would with a diesel. Article here

https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/gasoline-p ... ning-error
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post