Sat Navigation - what is it?

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

Guys I’m hoping you can assist. I’ve recently bought (3 weeks ago) a Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid (w Tech Pack).

I’m trying to resolve a dispute between myself and a friend concerning the navigation system.

I believe that the system uses HERE maps for mapping data with a Hyundai routing system handling the navigation.

He believes that the system uses TomTom for mapping data with a TomTom routing system.

The Bluelink app shows the HERE logo and the system on the car does not display the TomTomLive badge on screen, both of which I think supports my thoughts.

Can anyone advise what mapping data is used and whether the routing system is HERE, TomTom or Hyundai..

It would be wonderful if you can help to resolve the argument. Many thanks in advance.

P.S. I’m aware that Hyundai did use TomTom systems in the past, but I think that has now lapsed?
Car: Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid in Dark Knight w Tech Pack
Soon to be a Kona N-Line S Hybrid w Lux pack in Denim Blue

dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

I actually wrote to BlueLink and I got the following reply:
Thank you for contacting us.

Kindly be informed that the TomTom is the base provider of the maps and live traffic features, however speed cams and the online search are provided by HERE.

We hope that all your questions have been answered.

If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to contact us.
I've replied asking about the routing algorithm so we'll see what they come back with concerning that.
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

And I got the reply.....
I can confirm that Hyundai use TomTom for both mapping data and routing systems.
WMiller

Post by WMiller »

Good work in clarifying with Hyundai. It's good to know a quality system is being used for mapping.

I've been pleasantly surprised at how good the internal GPS system is on the Tucson compared to some other makes.
Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Ultimate + Tech Pack in Phantom Black.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

The mapping may be good, but the GPS receiver isn't. Mine occasionally loses the signal or misinterprets it and I end up about 400 yards from where I should be - and this is normally driving down a motorway, so clear site of satellites. Then, I have to change to Google maps to complete my journey.

Maybe the latest update has cured it - I'll find out at the weekend.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
madowl

Post by madowl »

alan sh wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:00 pm The mapping may be good, but the GPS receiver isn't. Mine occasionally loses the signal or misinterprets it and I end up about 400 yards from where I should be - and this is normally driving down a motorway, so clear site of satellites. Then, I have to change to Google maps to complete my journey.

I haven't had anything as bad as that but have had slightly late voice and visual instructions.
WMiller

Post by WMiller »

alan sh wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:00 pm The mapping may be good, but the GPS receiver isn't. Mine occasionally loses the signal or misinterprets it and I end up about 400 yards from where I should be - and this is normally driving down a motorway, so clear site of satellites. Then, I have to change to Google maps to complete my journey.

I haven't noticed any signal issues yet, whether on open roads or city driving. I drive a lot of different cars with work, and roundabouts have been tricky on every GPS system I've ever used, and I've lost count of the times I've taken the exit after the one I should have, as they do struggle to keep up with the exits. However, I do like the little diagram that pops up before entering and during the roundabout to show which exit to take on the Hyundai system to help with this.

I find I don't even bother switching to Google Maps or Waze much at all when I start up my Tucson now, and tend to stick to the Hyundai system.
Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Ultimate + Tech Pack in Phantom Black.
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

Well Bluelink replied further and they advised: "Kindly be informed that the routing, both live and offline are provided by Hyundai."

So it looks like the "I can confirm that Hyundai use TomTom for both mapping data and routing systems." response from 'Hyundai customer query' was incorrect!

This ties in with what I'm seeing in the apps and what the guys at TomTom are saying!
old man

Post by old man »

[quote'Hyundai customer query' was incorrect!][/quote]

I've found Hyundai customer service via their chat line to be pretty appalling and they generally just want to refer you to your nearest dealer. They need to be pushed in many cases to connect you to technical, from whom you normally get some reliable answers.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
dbrewood

Post by dbrewood »

Yep I must admit I've not found them that good either. I'm lucky I've got a decent dealership (well so far anyway), and that the Bluelink guys have been great in answering queries.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post