Steering Wheel Vibration

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
old man

Post by old man »

Anybody had steering wheel vibration on a brand new Tucson ? I have it (and no, I haven't driven into a pothole etc etc) and although it's very mild and doesn't really manifest itself until approx 60mph, it is annoying on a long motorway trip.
I'm assuming it's wheels out of balance and if I take it into my dealer and I'll get that cynical look that says I did it. However, I do know from experience that cars do leave factories with settings that are out of true and so I wonder if anyone else has experienced this and if so, was it wheels out of balance or could the cause come from elsewhere ?
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto

Al94

Post by Al94 »

Sounds very much like wheel balance to me. Also check the wheel nuts are correctly tightened. Dealer should sort it although they might not have the technology for a proper balance as opposed to a good tyre dealership.
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Ultimate 5dr 2WD Auto
focusy

Post by focusy »

rear wheels need balancing, if its at higher speeds
old man

Post by old man »

Al94 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:44 am Sounds very much like wheel balance to me. Also check the wheel nuts are correctly tightened. Dealer should sort it although they might not have the technology for a proper balance as opposed to a good tyre dealership.
In light of the fact that both the dealer and myself had taken a wheel off, I did consider that, but as I've just come home from France having drive approx 1300 miles, I guessed a wheel would have come off by now. However, I've just checked all 4 wheels and they're all good.
old man

Post by old man »

focusy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:10 pm rear wheels need balancing, if its at higher speeds
That's a new one on me. How do unbalanced rear wheels cause the steering wheel to vibrate on a 2WD car ?
focusy

Post by focusy »

reason I know its. we put some new wheels on the wife golf and above 60 on motorway. it vibrated, went to Costco last night for some new tyres, explained what had happened, he said most people balance and do tracking, he said its balancing on rear balanced old tyres as proof, test drove all gone

new tyres ordered and being fitted this week.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

old man wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:20 pm
focusy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:10 pm rear wheels need balancing, if its at higher speeds
That's a new one on me. How do unbalanced rear wheels cause the steering wheel to vibrate on a 2WD car ?
Find a bicycle grab the seat and wiggle it side to side. Note how the front wheel goes left & right. It's all connected.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
old man

Post by old man »

alan sh wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:16 pm
old man wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:20 pm
Find a bicycle grab the seat and wiggle it side to side. Note how the front wheel goes left & right. It's all connected.
I get that, but if a rear wheel(s) was unbalanced I'd expect to feel that elsewhere before I had a mild vibration purely via the steering wheel e.g. through the seat of my pants, seats or chassis.
roadster

Post by roadster »

Yes mine shakes at that speed too. It always used to be true that out of balance front wheels would be noticeable at 40 to 45 and rear wheels at 60 to 65. Mine isn't bad enough to be worth taking any action but I might swop the wheels over after twelve months then wheel know ( sorry!).
Tucson PHEV Premium
old man

Post by old man »

( sorry!).
As you should be, pick up your coat on the way out :D

My vibration is barely discernible, but on a 800 mile motorway trip it does get a little annoying, and it shouldn't be there . It's donkeys yeas since I had steering wheel vibration.
I think I hadn't noticed it earlier because up until going to France last month the car had only done 370 miles and barely any of that was on a motorway.
Can't make up my mind whether to talk to the dealer or maybe just get the front wheels balanced for £20.
I did wonder if French motorway road surfaces are a bit different to ours, so I'll have to take a short trip on a motorway here to confirm that the vibration is still there.

I do wonder whether anyone would admit that cars are escaping the factory with wheels that are not properly balanced. I did have a problem with a Skoda once that sounded like a worn wheel bearing. My dealer admitted that cars were leaving the factory with the wrong tracking settings and at the time, nothing was being done about it. They fixed the tracking but point blank refused to replace the two tyres that had worn unevenly.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post