Dealers moving goalposts

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
WMiller

Post by WMiller »

My dealer is trying to backtrack on the deal we made when I ordered my Tucson in January. It was originally due to be delivered in March, and the deal included honouring the agreed PX price for my current car even though I would be waiting a few months.

Fast forward to June, and I got a call to say car has arrived at the dealers, which was great news. Then he asked me what the current mileage of my car was as it would need revaluing. I thought 'Hang on, we agreed the PX price January'. Anyway, the line was bad on the call, so the conversation ended quickly.

I'm now concerned that the dealer is going to offer me a lower PX price for my current car, despite our agreement, because of the extra 3 months production delay.

Can they do this?
Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Ultimate + Tech Pack in Phantom Black.

old man

Post by old man »

Can they do this?
I imagine that if you have nothing in writing, they probably can.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Mar10

Post by Mar10 »

Get a few valuations of your car from some other sources. My current car has actually gone up in value since I did the deal in March.

Do you have outstanding finance on your current car? If you do then they probably just want to re-finance to take into account the repayments and valuations together.
daibill

Post by daibill »

I ordered in January and picked car up May 7th. I was offered a part ex value on the spot (they would have taken the car straight away) or took a lower one on collection which I did. Nothing was mentioned regarding mileage during that time as that is what the lower part ex value would have accommodated. No re-evaluation mentioned either. On collection, the part ex price was honoured. They went via a "broker" to obtain the part ex price and it was punted out to them the same day as I took delivery.
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)
focusy

Post by focusy »

Who the dealer?
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

My dealer told me from the start that the price would go down when I picked up the car.
In January my Tiguan was valued at 18.9k as a part ex and I should have left the car go then go then. Silly me.
They would not honour the price I did ask.

in may when things started to happen they priced it at 17.8k BUT when I picked up my car in June it would have been 17.1k
so quick as a flash I said you can have it now to save £700 if it was 200 I would not say but £700 is a lot.

I did confirm by checking motorway and we buy any car and it has gone down. there must be a large decrease in June and the in September??

so if a dealer says " I will give you that for it" when you go in get it as a letter or Email that when you can argue with them.
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
WMiller

Post by WMiller »

old man wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:26 pm
Can they do this?
I imagine that if you have nothing in writing, they probably can.
I do have something in writing, as I said I might sell privately. They replied that their offer will stand if the private deal falls through. Another message says the price they quoted for the PX is a 'worst case' price for me, which suggests to me they should honour it.
WMiller

Post by WMiller »

Mar10 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:21 pm Get a few valuations of your car from some other sources. My current car has actually gone up in value since I did the deal in March.

Do you have outstanding finance on your current car? If you do then they probably just want to re-finance to take into account the repayments and valuations together.
No, there's no finance remaining, and I've done some valuations which have shown it's gone down about 2k since January. I'll still argue they said they'd honour the price though. The production delays aren't down to me.
Last edited by WMiller on Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WMiller

Post by WMiller »

focusy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:52 pmWho the dealer?
All I want to say is North West England. On the coast.
terryp

Post by terryp »

I part exchanged my 2 year old Renault and the Broker said that if I were to PX in January he would offer 20k but as the car was due in March he couldn't hold the price and it would then be £19k.
When a car became available at the end if January I negotiated 19.8k which he agreed.
I don't think second hand cars are depreciating very quickly at the moment (if at all in some cases) and it will pay to shop around. After 2 years my Renault was worth only 2.5k less than I paid for it.
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post