Sticky Gear Change

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
AlbaZeus

Post by AlbaZeus »

The transition between gears seems to have become stiff, where I need to use a little force to get the gear in.

It isn’t a lot of force but definitely more than I would expect to have to use.

There is no clutch slippage, knocking or burning smell.

The car is:

Hyundai Tucson
16 Plate
52k on the clock.
Last service circa 3 years ago.

Trying to get a local garage to have a look but some advise would be great.

Tenbytriker

Post by Tenbytriker »

Not sure if this helps but had same sort of problem with a vauxhall it could be the cables from gear stick to gearbox gets stiff had to change cables wouldnt go back in to neutral plus hard to select gears hope this helps
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

Years ago, I had a BMW 3 series that had a really stiff/hard gear change. That car needed a change of gearbox oil. That, for me held a lot.

Sounds like a gearbox service, and/or general service is needed for yours
AlbaZeus

Post by AlbaZeus »

Hi,

Got the car into the garage and turns out the clutch indeed needs replaced as it is failing to engage.

A general rule of thumb apparently is: Gear issues when the engine is cold usually gearbox & when engine is warm usually the clutch. Not in all cases of course but more often than not.

I was under the impression that a clutch average lifespan was 100k circa however since found out through research it is closer to 50/60k in modern cars.

Thank you for the above responses.
old man

Post by old man »

I was under the impression that a clutch average lifespan was 100k circa however since found out through research it is closer to 50/60k in modern cars.
I remember a comment by Honest John several years ago that stated cars were being built with a 7 year life in mind. I don't know if that was fact and if it was, does it hold true today.
It strikes a chord with me though because manufacturers need big turnovers, so it stands to reason that they don't want their cars lasting forever.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post