Automatic Gearbox

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

My automatic HEV tends to hold onto a gear for too long when driving up a moderate incline. So much so that on occasion as the revs increase to around 3000rpm, I’ve started using the paddles behind the steering wheel to change up a gear.

To my mind doing this feels like it’s the right thing to do, as the revs drop down and the car continues without any adverse effect, or needing to change down again.

I’m interested to know If anyone else has experienced this, and have you contacted your dealer about it?

mah006

Post by mah006 »

richarde wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:20 pm My automatic HEV tends to hold onto a gear for too long when driving up a moderate incline. So much so that on occasion as the revs increase to around 3000rpm, I’ve started using the paddles behind the steering wheel to change up a gear.

To my mind doing this feels like it’s the right thing to do, as the revs drop down and the car continues without any adverse effect, or needing to change down again.

I’m interested to know If anyone else has experienced this, and have you contacted your dealer about it?
Yes mine is the same & it is quite annoying ,i like you either use the paddles or lift the accelerator
N Line S HEV Shadow Grey
old man

Post by old man »

Yes, same answer as mah006. I hadn't noticed it where I live in Somerset, but having just returned from a holiday in a very undulating part of France, it was very noticeable, My two previous cars with DSG gearboxes were better in this respect.
Can't have it all though and I can certainly live with it because in all other respects (so far at least) this car is easy to like.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
roadster

Post by roadster »

Yes the PHEV does this occasionally too. If the engine is cold ( which it often is in electric mode ) it can be quite rattly.
Tucson PHEV Premium
Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

Same as others. On incline it tends to use a lower gear than expected. I have used the paddles to change but it sometimes drops a gear and likes to high rev. I'll mention it come service time.
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

I haven't noticed it in my plug-in but it's rarely out of EV these days. However from other diesel or petrol autos I've owned in the past I think it's normal for the car to hang onto a lower gear for longer than normal before the engine has warmed up, so if it's only happening when the engine is cold I wouldn't be concerned.
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

KeithB1 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:48 pm I haven't noticed it in my plug-in but it's rarely out of EV these days. However from other diesel or petrol autos I've owned in the past I think it's normal for the car to hang onto a lower gear for longer than normal before the engine has warmed up, so if it's only happening when the engine is cold I wouldn't be concerned.
Mine behaves like this either hot or cold. Coming from an X3 with a sweet 8 speed steptronic box, it’s noticeable.

Ill mention it my local dealer next time I’m passing.
tuscon-ie

Post by tuscon-ie »

Noticed this high rev issue also on 2023 PHEV 4,400 km ,. Seems to happen when battery is depleted and running in petrol mode. Any incline from low speed (1st, 2nd gears) it seems to delay going into next gear and screams high rev. Taking foot off accelerator and back on sometimes shifts the gear but not always. Its very noticeable and does not feel right.

Anyone get more info from dealer or get resolution to their issue?
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

If you want to override the Hyundai Automotive Engineer's carefully designed gear-changing algorithm, you can: Engage Sport Mode and use the flappy paddles!
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Big S

Post by Big S »

You can also use the paddles in eco mode and then just be gentle on the loud peddle!!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post