May 2022 Update

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
roadster

Post by roadster »

The latest update via usb seems to have changed the procedure again. Firstly it asked if I wanted it done after the car was shut down, I decided to ignore this and start the update immediately and I left it switched on verifying the files and walked away for a while. When I next looked there was that little busy dots symbol on an otherwise black screen then that disappeared and the car seemed to be capable of being driven but without an active centre screen. Finally it came back to normal and presented a screen showing the user selection which was still working with my preferences selected. Maybe next time I will try the update while switched off option. There seem to be some cosmetic updates but as I don't use the connected phone options it will probably be the navigation/map improvements which will have some value for me.
Tucson PHEV Premium

old man

Post by old man »

The latest update via usb seems to have changed the procedure again.
Why do manufacturers keep moving the goalposts ? We just get used to one system and then they change it. I found this with my two previous Skodas and it got very confusing because the dealers don't seem to be able to keep up with these changes, so they're incapable of advising us how to operate them.
God help us when Hyundai change to Over The Air updates. When they work, they're great, but confusion sets in when dealers don't know which models are capable of receiving them.
They call it progress, I call it bloody annoying !!
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

After the June update, I though they might have fixed the reset issue - but it happened to me again today. I am coming round to the concolusion that others have had - that it's battery level related. Today I had the car unlocked and the doors open while I was cleaning it.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
roadster

Post by roadster »

alan sh wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:52 pm After the June update, I though they might have fixed the reset issue - but it happened to me again today. I am coming round to the concolusion that others have had - that it's battery level related. Today I had the car unlocked and the doors open while I was cleaning it.
Now you mention it I remember that that is when it happened to me. I had been working on a car next to mine and left the tailgate open for what was probably more than an hour. When I left everything seemed normal but within a mile or two a message came up on the centre screen which I couldn't safely read while driving. When I checked it had deleted my user name and reverted to the guest account. This can't be a flat battery on the PHEV but it could be some sort of security feature because it decides the driver has been uncommunicative for a long period and can't be trusted! I now make sure I take plenty of backups via the Bluelink phone app.
Tucson PHEV Premium
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

roadster wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:15 am
alan sh wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:52 pm After the June update, I though they might have fixed the reset issue - but it happened to me again today. I am coming round to the concolusion that others have had - that it's battery level related. Today I had the car unlocked and the doors open while I was cleaning it.
Now you mention it I remember that that is when it happened to me. I had been working on a car next to mine and left the tailgate open for what was probably more than an hour. When I left everything seemed normal but within a mile or two a message came up on the centre screen which I couldn't safely read while driving. When I checked it had deleted my user name and reverted to the guest account. This can't be a flat battery on the PHEV but it could be some sort of security feature because it decides the driver has been uncommunicative for a long period and can't be trusted! I now make sure I take plenty of backups via the Bluelink phone app.
I’ve not driven my car for 3 days, not opened the doors/boot, not even unlocked it and the key has been in a faraday pouch the whole time (so not pinging the car etc).

This morning I get in, turn on, and the air-con unit is off (and has reset to 22° when turned back on), and the cluster has reset. I use the energy flow graphic, which had reverted to the rear view graphic.

If this is battery related, then is the charge dropping, as others have suggested, causing this reset, and should we expect this (possibly normal for the hybrid - if there is no alkaline battery)?

I’d be interested to know, if any non-hybrid owners also experience this?
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

Don't want to tempt fate, but I'm a non-hybrid owner and don't recall this happening to mine in the few months I've had it so far.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

richarde wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:54 am
I’ve not driven my car for 3 days, not opened the doors/boot, not even unlocked it and the key has been in a faraday pouch the whole time (so not pinging the car etc).

This morning I get in, turn on, and the air-con unit is off (and has reset to 22° when turned back on), and the cluster has reset. I use the energy flow graphic, which had reverted to the rear view graphic.

If this is battery related, then is the charge dropping, as others have suggested, causing this reset, and should we expect this (possibly normal for the hybrid - if there is no alkaline battery)?

Yes, similar to me. I think it's because the 12v battery is just part of the hyprid battery and not separate - and is not very big so runs down very quickly. I also assume that's why there's a button to "start" the car from the hybrid battery because they have seen it runs down quickly.

I have a voltmeter plugged in and it nrmally shows 13.1 or 13.2v when driving. After I had one of those resets, it was showing 13.9v - which indicates to me that it's charging up quickly rather than just holding the charge at a normal level.

Unless Hyundai do a magic s/w update to fix this, I guess we just have to live with it. I have complained to my dealer but he has no idea either.
Alan

Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
Mar10

Post by Mar10 »

I don't think it is related to the battery, or at least not to do with how long it's been left.

The last two times it's done the reset thing to me it hasn't been left for more that 1 hour. One of those times it was after a run around town. The other time was after a 40 minute drive, popped into a shop, came back out and it had reset.

I can't find any consistency related to when it happens although it has always been when a phone has been plugged in and using CarPlay.
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

alan sh wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:43 pm
richarde wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:54 am

Yes, similar to me. I think it's because the 12v battery is just part of the hyprid battery and not separate - and is not very big so runs down very quickly. I also assume that's why there's a button to "start" the car from the hybrid battery because they have seen it runs down quickly.

I have a voltmeter plugged in and it nrmally shows 13.1 or 13.2v when driving. After I had one of those resets, it was showing 13.9v - which indicates to me that it's charging up quickly rather than just holding the charge at a normal level.

Unless Hyundai do a magic s/w update to fix this, I guess we just have to live with it. I have complained to my dealer but he has no idea either.
Are there any PHEV owners seeing this, the following is a reply to my post on Reddit
PHEV owner here. Sorry, nope.

FWIW they still have a 12v battery, and there was a known issue with the Kona EV for dead batteries with strange gremlins shortly before, might be worth asking the dealer to investigate under warranty to see if it is thay
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Mine did it again tonight. 3 mile drive then stopped. Locked and unlocked the car a few times. Came to drive off and it had 'gone' again. Charging voltage was 14.1v
Alan

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post