Deadlocks?

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Aelking

Post by Aelking »

Is this any differemt from the key having to he in the vehicle before it starts?

old man

Post by old man »

Aelking wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:31 am Is this any differemt from the key having to he in the vehicle before it starts?
Is what any different and who are you asking ?
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Aelking

Post by Aelking »

The car wont start without the key in the vehicle. And if the key leaves it wont drive.
old man

Post by old man »

Aelking wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:26 pm The car wont start without the key in the vehicle. And if the key leaves it wont drive.
Interesting question and something I haven't tried with the Tucson. With a previous Skoda it was possible have the fob in my pocket, get in the car and start the engine, then, leaving the engine running take the fob back to the house and leave it there, return to the car and drive off.
A friend and neighbour actually did this inadvertently. The wife was able to unlock and start their Audi because her husband was by the car with the fob in his pocket and then drive 10 miles away and didn't realise what she'd done until she arrived. Had to phone her husband to get him to bring the keyfob to her.
No idea if this is possible with the Tucson, but you could try it and let us know what happens. :D
old man

Post by old man »

For those that care, curiosity got the better of me today.
I got into my car with fob in my pocket and started the car. I then passed the fob to my wife out of the window and got her to walk a decent distance away.
I was still able to drive the car and there were no alarms to tell me that the fob wasn't present. So same as my previous Skoda, you can drive as far as you want without the fob, but once you stop the car and switch off ignition, you're stuffed.
Naughty really, this shouldn't be able to happen.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Now try it by starting the engine, then opening the door and getting out with the key in your pocket. Pass the key to your wife and get back in.

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
old man

Post by old man »

alan sh wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:23 pm Now try it by starting the engine, then opening the door and getting out with the key in your pocket. Pass the key to your wife and get back in.

Alan
I don't need to because you're going to tell me what happens. The only difference there is that the door has been opened, so I assume that the car can't be driven or there's a warning alarm.
Even so, it shouldn't be possible to drive off without the fob in your possession.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

There's a warning.

You MUST be able to drive. If the fob fails while you are driving, the car can't just stop. So, yes, if the car has been started and you then lose (in whatever fashion) the key, the engine won't just stop - that's dangerous.

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
old man

Post by old man »

alan sh wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:07 pm There's a warning.

You MUST be able to drive. If the fob fails while you are driving, the car can't just stop. So, yes, if the car has been started and you then lose (in whatever fashion) the key, the engine won't just stop - that's dangerous.

Alan
Good point.
SteevieWeevie

Post by SteevieWeevie »

old man wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:36 pm If you lock your Tucson and then leave your keyfob for several minutes (sorry, I don't know the timescale), it will go to sleep and then cannot be read by an oik with an electronic reader.
If you keep your fob about your person so it never goes to sleep, then get a Faraday bag and keep the fob in that.
Well, that’s some news to me but it would seem corroborated by a few others here. Thanks, that’s actually very interesting.

My Skoda was a MY early 2019. I had read around that time that VW group were looking at gyroscope sensor tech in the fobs to do exactly what you describe. I didn’t realise the Tucson had this and you’d think they’d make more of it as a feature wouldn’t you?

On the point about taking the key out of the car whilst the engine is running. My Karoq didn’t like that. It would keep bleeping and a warning would come on the virtual cockpit saying “wireless key fob not in vehicle”. You couldn’t turn the warning off either and the beeping was very loud.
Tucson Ultimate Hybrid - Shimmering Silver