Life with a manual, non-hybrid Tucson

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

I think most people on here have (or are waiting on) an automatic Tucson. Having taken delivery of a manual, non-hybrid Premium version as a lease car a couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd share my thoughts so far after around 200 miles on this particular set up in case it helps anyone else out. I've posted on a few threads already but thought I'd bring everything together in one place.

Positives

Overall, I think it's a great car. It's my first SUV so still getting used to the extra size (particularly when parking!) but the main advantage is how spacious it is inside - zero complaints from my wife and kids about how much space they get.

The interior is nice and feels solidly put together. Touch wood I've had no issues with the infotainment system and everything has worked flawlessly with Android Auto and Bluetooth. The upgraded Krell sound system sounds really good and portrays decent bass even at motorway speeds. No complaints there.

I appreciate how easy it is to driver aids on and off when needed, particularly Lane Assist. I turn it off by holding down the steering wheel button everytime, so it hasn't had chance to annoy me yet! I've managed to change enough settings so the car only bongs at me when the car in front pulls away (seriously, give me a second before nagging me!) or if I have the cheek to start the engine before putting my seatbelt on! Cruise control (standard on my car, not adaptive) works well on the motorway alongside Lane Keep Assist, which has worked flawlessly so far. Likewise Blind Spot Assist, handy if not maybe a little overzealous in what it counts as a 'blind spot'.

This all means though, that it's a comfortable way to cover miles on the motorway, and noise levels are pretty good too.

The manual gearbox is smooth to use. I sometimes find myself going from 5th to 6th rather than into 4th at times, but that is definitely user error and I'm already getting better!

Being the basic petrol engine means it is the least powerful in the range but it feels faster than the 10.3 seconds 0-60 time would suggest. Certainly no issues joining a motorway or pulling out at junctions yet.

Not so positives

The big one for me (and I've posted in another thread about it) is the feel of the road through the pedals. This may or may not bother others but on rough surfaces in particular, the feedback of the road does come up through the pedals a bit. I feel this is more prominent in the manual, and mainly affects the clutch and brake. I test drove another manual to check it wasn't just my particular car and it felt the same, so I think it's just the way it works. Possibly feeds into the reviews which suggest the Tucson in general is rougher over some surfaces than competitors (particularly the Sportage) although I've found the ride in general decent so far, other than the pedals issue. Still, I'm sure I'll adapt.

Being the non-hybrid I get the largest possible boot at 620 litres. However, I guess I was expecting it to seem bigger? I imagine the overall size takes into account the underfloor storage, which is really handy, and it's fitted in everything we need so far, but on first impression I wouldn't have guessed the literage from the appearance. The real test will come on a camping trip in a few weeks!

Speaking of the boot, opening it after rain seems to bring a bit of a shower of drips. Will have to be careful with that to make sure it doesn't rain on the inside too much!

I like the Bluelink app but a few times I've received false notifications that the doors are unlocked when they weren't. Hopefully just a gremlin that disappears.

Other than those (not so major) issues, pleased in general with the car and look forward to getting to know it even more!

alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Nice write up. I agree with you about most things. Having the Auto, I haven't noticed the road feel.

Re the Bluelink. I think the app notices when it gets unlocked but doesn't when it gets locked again. It's a minor bug. I get the same notifications.

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
_Itsjustlewis

Post by _Itsjustlewis »

Great post.

I also have the non-hybrid and manual Premium spec and agree with all of the above. I'm around 900 miles in, somehow, despite only having the car for three weeks - good job I have 12k miles p/a on the lease!

How is your fuel consumption looking? I get to around 40mpg on longer journeys but it's 35mpg for the short town trips.
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

_Itsjustlewis wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:44 am Great post.

I also have the non-hybrid and manual Premium spec and agree with all of the above. I'm around 900 miles in, somehow, despite only having the car for three weeks - good job I have 12k miles p/a on the lease!

How is your fuel consumption looking? I get to around 40mpg on longer journeys but it's 35mpg for the short town trips.
At the moment I think I'm hovering around 32mpg. I reckon about two thirds of my trips so far have been in and around town, with the rest on the motorway. Not too concerned about the consumption yet as I know it will take a while to settle down as everything beds in. Most of my trips in it will be longer journeys in the future so I guess we'll see.
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

I've just broken through the 500 mile barrier so thought I'd update for anyone interested - always good to hear from others how they are finding living with their Tucson as well.

Positives

I mentioned it in my previous post but I'm really pleased with how the car performs on the motorway. It feels relaxed and there's enough pull to overtake, even up to 70mph and in 6th gear, without having to change down. The driver aids really make it a relaxing drive too - I've never had a car with Lane Follow Assist (is that the right term? The one that does most of the steering for you!) before and honestly didn't think I'd like it/use it, but on a suitable stretch of motorway that and the cruise control together have been great. I'm definitely a convert.

I've had opportunity to fill the boot up more and, while I still wouldn't have guessed it's 620 litres from looking at it, it has swallowed up everything it has needed too so far. The underfloor storage is deceptively spacious actually and I assume it's where more of that literage goes than I expected.

I'm finding the seats nice and comfortable, having done a couple of longer (well, over an hour anyway) journeys. Lumbar support is particularly good, as I'm prone to lower back and a bit of neck ache in my older Astra, but get this less in the Tucson.

MPG is improving all the time - overall average is sitting at about 33.5 and I'm sure/hope it will improve further the more miles get put on it.

Not so positives

I've found the wipers to be a bit rubbish. I'm going to reserve judgement on this because I think they need a clean and I haven't done it yet but I find them (particularly the one on the driver side) a little smeary and that they don't remove things like dead insects as efficiently as I'd like. I found the driver side one rubbed a couple of times yesterday too so I will take a closer look, and hope it just needs a clean or something.

I still really like the infotainment. Maybe I jinxed it in my first post however, as I've had a couple of dropped connections while listening to music via Bluetooth, and one when navigating via Android Auto. However, I'm going to reserve judgement on this as well as it could be my phone (a Pixel 4a) and it isn't exactly a regular occurrence (touch wood!)

I'm still not completely on board with the ride. I still feel road feedback through the floor on rough roads, particularly through the pedals - it's not a disaster but it's there. I'm not sure the tyres help - I'm on Continental EcoContact 6 XL ones, so I'm sure the fact they are reinforced and made for fuel efficiency rather than comfort is part of the equation.

Lastly, I have never known a car attract bird muck as much as this one! I won't hold that against it though...

Not so positive that's actually probably a positive

The Lane Keep Assist (the one that stops you drifting out of your lane) does not seem to work most of the time. I almost automatically turn it off every time I set off but have forgotten a couple of times and it doesn't actually seem to activate. Other than on a 40mph stretch of A road with newly painted lines near my house, the icon remains white on the dash and I can drift over the lines to my heart's content. Not that I'm bothered about it, and the aid that steers to keep you centred in a lane works like a charm, so I assume the camera system etc all functions, so it doesn't bother me!
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Are you aware that the lane keep assist doesn't operate until you get to 40mph? I presume it's because in a 30, there's too much rubbish (cars pedestrians cyclists etc.) to be able to make it work effectively.

Dropouts via Android Auto. Me too - until I changed the lead. Nothing since.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

alan sh wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:05 pm Are you aware that the lane keep assist doesn't operate until you get to 40mph? I presume it's because in a 30, there's too much rubbish (cars pedestrians cyclists etc.) to be able to make it work effectively.

Dropouts via Android Auto. Me too - until I changed the lead. Nothing since.
Thanks. I wasn't until recently - I think that's probably it, and me just not noticing when it has or hasn't activated to be honest.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post