Feeling road through pedal

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
old man

Post by old man »

maurice28 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:05 am It's smooth pulling away to be honest, and there's no other juddering elsewhere. It's very much just feeling vibration through the pedals when braking and sometimes changing gear. Strange.
It is strange and I'll be interested to hear what the outcome is when you visit the dealer. Don't let them fob you off with the old chestnut "They're all like that sir" because they certainly aren't and if they do try it on, insist they let you drive another of their cars to prove a point.
I could understand if it was just the brakes. I've been told of new cars that have been sitting around in the open for a long time, that have formed rust polyps on the discs and will cause vibration when braking until they've worn smooth, but of course, your car shouldn't have been hanging around for long enough for that to happen.
I could understand clutch judder, I've had it myself on a brand new car, but both together seems strange unless you're changing gear at the same time as braking and a juddering from either brakes or clutch could manifest itself through the other.
I'm intrigued now and sad for you that you appear to have a car that's left the factory in a poor state. Of course, it's not impossible that the car has been mistreated somehow in its first 10 miles.

If it's truly a fault with the car and the dealer can't fix, you have the right to reject if the car is not fit for purpose. Not an easy thing to do in the current climate, because we know it can take months to source another car. Good luck.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto

maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

Thanks very much! Yes, maybe it is me being overly sensitive but I've never experienced this in another car so I wouldn't expect it of a brand new one.

It's a lease car with maintenance package so I'll speak to the lease company later, as they offer to deal with the manufacturer on my behalf. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again!
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

Just an update on this. The car went into the dealer today. They gave it a test drive (I could see they did via Bluelink, a handy feature!) and gave everything a look over. They said there is nothing they could find wrong with it and that it behaves exactly like other cars of the same spec and gearbox. Apparently the technician who worked on it has one in the family and it feels the same.

On the drive home, it maybe felt slightly better but that could be psychological! I think what I'll do at some point is see if another dealership will let me have a quick test of another one(I didn't have time to do that today) and do my own comparison.

I'm pretty sure it's definitely the road surface feeding back through the pedals. It may just be me needing to get used to a bigger car with bigger wheels feeding back a bit more. We'll see! In the meantime, I can still drive the car and really like it other than this.
focusy

Post by focusy »

daft question. please don't shoot me, have you tried different shoes?
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

Ha I have! Not daft at all, that's one of the first things I tried!
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

So I was having a look at the car ealier and thought I'd ask, does anyone have side to side play in their brake pedal at all? If I hold it I can move it side to side, not by loads but by more than I can in my other car, for example (a 2009 Astra).

Still, this might be a normal level for the Tucson. I've taken a short video which hopefully works - https://youtube.com/shorts/tQrTsNp3aV8

Is anyone else's the same? I appreciate this entails grabbing your brake and giving it a wobble!
old man

Post by old man »

My car is an auto, but I assume it has the same braking mechanism as yours, and yes, there is some play in the pedal.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

Thank you, I thought that might be the case!
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

One more update on this! I spoke to another dealer in area (Hyundai Stockport, to give them a shout out) and explained the situation and asked if they could spare 10 minutes to let me test another manual Tucson. They very kindly agreed and I've just got back from a 10 minute spin.

The result? It felt pretty much the same as mine, which is a relief in one way (that mine is indeed behaving correctly) but I guess a mild disappointment in that it's not quite as refined as I hoped. The one I borrowed from the dealer was a SE Connect, so had an inch smaller wheels than my Premium, so I guess it's good that the slightly larger wheels haven't made the ride even worse.

Another Hyundai dealer also got back to my original enquiry about the pedals and the salesman said he thought the same as I did when he first drove the Tucson. He said he'd come from Ford and while he preferred Hyundai for many reasons, he found the Kuga more refined in the areas I mentioned.

So anyway, it seems like my car is absolutely fine and normal, which is great. I think I'll probably eventually adapt to a bit more road feedback through the pedals than I'm used to!
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

Well, just thought I'd update on this. I had opportunity to drive another Tucson the other day, this time a manual N Line with 19 inch wheels and it felt pretty much the same as mine, so that's three manuals I've tried now (an SE Connect, a Premium and an N Line). The N Line was perhaps slightly 'sturdier' through the brake, but I think a bit worse through the clutch. Clearly it's just how I experience this car and the only real negative so far.

Thanks for everyone's input!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post