Feeling road through pedal

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

Yesterday I received my 1.6 Premium manual, non hybrid, Tucson and liking it so far! This morning, I've noticed when slowing on a rough piece of road, I can feel some vibration from the road through the clutch and brake pedal.

Does anyone else get this at all? It's like it's mirroring the surface of the road rather than a full judder, not loads but noticeable. I'll check tyre pressures, but just wondered if this is perhaps just a quirk of the car itself?

old man

Post by old man »

Without driving your car, you're unlikely to get a diagnosis here.
As far as I'm concerned you should not get vibration through the brake and clutch pedals purely from driving over a rough patch of road. unless your car has been screwed together badly. What you're describing sounds mechanical rather than being caused by rough surfaces.
Yes, you should absolutely check tyre pressures. A car coming from a dealer with the wrong pressures is far from rare - I had one where they were 10psi over pressure.
More information might help e.g. are you coasting over the rough surface, or are you operating the brakes and clutch at the same time ?
Is your car new or pre-owned ?
What make/model/year car did you have before the Tucson ? I ask this because you may have come from a car that was more softly sprung than the Tucson and probably had completely different tyres to what you currently have. Also, modern tyres are being made with harder compounds to decrease rolling resistance and therefore increase fuel consumption.
Road tests suggest the the Tucson has a ride that is a little harsh, compared to say, it's sister car - the Kia Sportage. Personally the ride suits me, but anyone coming from a softer sprung car with more compliant tyres might say it is harsh.
Lastly, I'd say that you should be able to differentiate between a mechanical judder from the brakes/clutch compared to a vibration set up by a rough surface. A vibration from a rough surface would be felt in the seat of your pants, rather than through the brake/clutch pedals.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, and yes, appreciate its hard to diagnose remotely! The tyre pressures seem to be a few psi over so I'll get that sorted.

The car is brand new, only has 15 miles on the clock so I appreciate it may just be bedding in. I've come from a 2009 Vauxhall Astra, so not the most refined of cars!

If I use both the clutch and brakes I can feel the surface of the road(best way I can describe it) and also if I just rest my foot on the brake without pressing them.

I'll sort the tyre pressures and see how it goes!
old man

Post by old man »

. I've come from a 2009 Vauxhall Astra, so not the most refined of cars
Yes, a world of difference between the two cars, get the tyre pressures sorted and then drive the car for a while and see if the problem persists.
I appreciate it may just be bedding in
Whilst tyres and brakes do require gentle usage during the first 100 miles or so - the brakes so that the pads and discs wear in evenly, so no heavy or sudden braking - and the tyres to wear off the slippery patina, because until that wears off the car won't stop as well as it should in wet conditions. There should however be no vibrations or judders when the car is new - it should all perform properly. Both the brand new demo I drove and also my own car, both with 10 miles on the clock, drove perfectly.
I just rest my foot on the brake without pressing them
A word of advice from an old fella - never rest your foot on either the brake or clutch pedal if you're not using them to brake or change gear.

If your problem persists, go to your dealer, there should be no vibrations in your new car !!
madowl

Post by madowl »

As old man says it is impossble to diagnose without phisically experience it.. Personally I would doubt it is vibration from the road, if it was you would get different effects with different surfaces.

What I can say is that, after owning 2 PHEV cars, I noticed that when the car depleted the electric charge or you selected "self charge" mode (basically the engine starting up) you could feel the engine vibration through the accellerator pedal.
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

Thanks again both for replying. Tyres were overinflated but I've remedied that and it hasn't made a difference.

Going to give it one more run out tomorrow and if it still feels the same will speak to a dealer. Hoping it can be looked at under the warranty and something found. Will be disappointing to be told it's a characteristic of the car!
Jimmc

Post by Jimmc »

Hi
I recently downgraded from a Range Rover sport 2016 and had a new Tucson ultimate hybrid for my retirement and there is one section of road I drive over every day and with the Tucson it's awful it is like a bone shaker but on smooth roads I love it I would love to drive this section of road with the sportage as I feel it will be the same
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

Thanks - yes, in general the ride is pretty good with the Tucson. This is very specifically feeling the bumps in the brake pedal and the clutch, both when I use them together to brake and sometimes with the clutch when I press it in to change gear. Also when resting my foot on the floor by the clutch but that might be psychological!

Having looked on other forums there's a few reports of similar with other Hyundai models, mainly in the USA. Oh well, if it persists I'll speak to the dealer.
old man

Post by old man »

maurice28 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:34 pm Thanks - yes, in general the ride is pretty good with the Tucson. This is very specifically feeling the bumps in the brake pedal and the clutch, both when I use them together to brake and sometimes with the clutch when I press it in to change gear. Also when resting my foot on the floor by the clutch but that might be psychological!

Having looked on other forums there's a few reports of similar with other Hyundai models, mainly in the USA. Oh well, if it persists I'll speak to the dealer.
I'd put money on this being mechanical. When you pull away from standstill, do you experience any juddering in the drivetrain ?
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

It's smooth pulling away to be honest, and there's no other juddering elsewhere. It's very much just feeling vibration through the pedals when braking and sometimes changing gear. Strange.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post