Mild hybrid battery regeneration

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Rossandjet

Post by Rossandjet »

Can anyone tell me if there is any battery regeneration when using ECO coasting in the mode that cuts in the quickest?

I have a Premium 230ps

Rossandjet

Post by Rossandjet »

Has anyone read much about the coasting mode, and how it works, there isn't much in the handbook. I have just returned from a 25-mile run with the coating mode to start earliest. The 25miles consisted of about 17 miles of Easter Monday traffic, a 6-mile steepish uphill section, and a 2-mile long downhill. The car returned 53MPG
But I still don't know just how it works????
mah006

Post by mah006 »

Rossandjet wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:59 pm Has anyone read much about the coasting mode, and how it works, there isn't much in the handbook. I have just returned from a 25-mile run with the coating mode to start earliest. The 25miles consisted of about 17 miles of Easter Monday traffic, a 6-mile steepish uphill section, and a 2-mile long downhill. The car returned 53MPG
But I still don't know just how it works????
Coasting does charge the battery but not as much as braking
My driving style has changed now since i have bought this car, i now coast if i know i am going to slow down which forces the car into EV mode
Nearly 2000 miles in & i am averaging 49mpg :D
N Line S HEV Shadow Grey
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

Rossandjet wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:07 pm Can anyone tell me if there is any battery regeneration when using ECO coasting in the mode that cuts in the quickest?

I have a Premium 230ps
If you have the mild hybrid your engine output is either 150PS (FWD) or 180ps (AWD). The 230ps version is the full hybrid that I have and I haven't found any options for coasting modes.

I presume that in the mild hybrid it doesn't take long after taking your foot off the accelerator for the battery to be fully charged, so it would shut down the engine at that point, depending on your speed?
mah006

Post by mah006 »

jarvis wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:33 pm
Rossandjet wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:07 pm Can anyone tell me if there is any battery regeneration when using ECO coasting in the mode that cuts in the quickest?

I have a Premium 230ps
If you have the mild hybrid your engine output is either 150PS (FWD) or 180ps (AWD). The 230ps version is the full hybrid that I have and I haven't found any options for coasting modes.

I presume that in the mild hybrid it doesn't take long after taking your foot off the accelerator for the battery to be fully charged, so it would shut down the engine at that point, depending on your speed?
I have full hybrid & coasting is in the settings where you can set it as normal or early
N Line S HEV Shadow Grey
Rossandjet

Post by Rossandjet »

Yes, you are correct, it is the full 230 hybrid I have. I found a bit of information and it looks like it is linked to a sat nav destination. The idea is that when you are approaching say, a roundabout, the car peeps at you to lift your foot off the gas pedal. I think I prefer my eyeball method. ha ha.
Jimmc

Post by Jimmc »

I have got the 230 full hybrid and can’t get the battery past half way on the dash
Any info on how to do it would be great
Thanks
mah006

Post by mah006 »

Jimmc wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:55 pm I have got the 230 full hybrid and can’t get the battery past half way on the dash
Thanks
Highest i have seen in mine is 3/4 but normally its around halfway
N Line S HEV Shadow Grey
roadster

Post by roadster »

Jimmc wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:55 pm I have got the 230 full hybrid and can’t get the battery past half way on the dash
Thanks
I think you will find that this is by design. The hybrid battery is used a bit like a smoothing capacitor in an electric circuit storing energy on a short cycle so that it is not wasted when going downhill or braking then utilising it when needed. If you are driving down a long and continuous decent you should see the battery reach a full or nearly full state but otherwise it will never be full or empty. This behaviour gives the battery the longest possible life and operates at maximum efficiency by minimising charging conversion losses.
Tucson PHEV Premium
Jimmc

Post by Jimmc »

Thanks guys for the positive comments
I will have to find a big hill to do sum coasting

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post