Question about hybrid push button auto gearbox

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Mar10

Post by Mar10 »

I’m still waiting for my N-line S hybrid but regularly read through the forum to pickup some nuggets of knowledge while I wait.

A couple of things I have been wondering about relate to the auto gears in the hybrid. Firstly how often, or for what reason, do people find themselves selecting neutral? I can’t really think of any reason that I would select neutral instead of park.

Secondly, does the handbrake engage when selecting park or does it need to be applied by the driver? I’m sure I’ll find out when I have the car but thought it’d be interesting to ask in the meantime.

old man

Post by old man »

I never use neutral but I might if I was in slow stop/start traffic.
The handbrake does engage when you press park, but being a non trusting type, if I'm parking the car and leaving it I also pull up the handbrake lever.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

No the handbrake doesn't engage when you press park. I know this because I can hear the parking brake engaging when I lift the lever up.

Try it yourself (open the door) and you will hear it.

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

old man wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:25 pm I never use neutral but I might if I was in slow stop/start traffic.
The handbrake does engage when you press park, but being a non trusting type, if I'm parking the car and leaving it I also pull up the handbrake lever.
I’ve found that the EPB, does not always engage when putting the car into Park. Not yet managed to detect the exact scenario, but may be related to having engaged Auto Hold during that journey. I do wish Auto Hold would stay activated after turning the car on/off.

I also have never used Neutral, and I’m on my 4th Auto!
Mar10

Post by Mar10 »

Thanks for the replies guys, interesting that no one has found much use for neutral! I think I read something in the manual that I downloaded about being able to use neutral so the car can be pushed / rolled if needed, again not sure why. I’m sure I’ll read up on it more when I get the car.

Sounds like it’s best to play it safe with the handbrake too.
stojced

Post by stojced »

You can use Neutral for towing, and also when going through automatic car wash.
madowl

Post by madowl »

The EPB only engages when selecting "park" if you have "autohold" on, This caught me out at first when the car started to move in "drive" as I took my foot off the brake.

Of course you don't need to hear the parking brake come on as there is a red "P" symbol in the display.
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

madowl wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:09 pm The EPB only engages when selecting "park" if you have "autohold" on, This caught me out at first when the car started to move in "drive" as I took my foot off the brake.
That makes sense. I guess I’m still adapting, as my last car (2018 X3) allowed auto hold to always be on, so therefore always applied the EPB.
madowl

Post by madowl »

richarde wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:14 pm
madowl wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:09 pm The EPB only engages when selecting "park" if you have "autohold" on, This caught me out at first when the car started to move in "drive" as I took my foot off the brake.
That makes sense. I guess I’m still adapting, as my last car (2018 X3) allowed auto hold to always be on, so therefore always applied the EPB.
My last 3 cars had an option in settings which allowed the EPB to be set manually, on selecting Park or at ignition off (which put the car in Park anyway).
Aelking

Post by Aelking »

You vam set it to put the handbrale on when truning off. So when you oress the ignition to turn the car off, it automatically goes into park amd sets the handbrake.

If you jave your seatbelt on and press drive, then the hamdbrake also disengages.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post