Cleaning plastic bits on the bottom half

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Andy.C

Post by Andy.C »

Can anyone tell me or recommend what they use to clean the bottom plastic bits please.
Thanks

old man

Post by old man »

I bought an N Line S model predominantly to avoid those plastic bits because of previous experience with a Santa Fe. I don't know if Hyundai have upped their game with the type of plastic used on wheel arches and door bottoms, but the Santa Fe was an absolute pig to get dirt off the outside plastic trims and sometimes I'd have to resort to getting down on hands and knees with a scrubbing brush. That was after using a power washer on them. The plastic trims on a Skoda SUV that followed the Hyundai were much easier to get the dirt off. I assumed from this that the plastic used by Hyundai is more porous than that used by some other makes.
At the time of owning the Santa Fe, once I'd scrubbed the trims clean, I found the best way to get them looking nice again was to use Back To Black. This would also offer some protection and make them easier to clean, but it needed to be reapplied on a regular basis.
When I had the Skoda, I discovered a clear gel that kept the trims looking good, but as said, the Skoda was easier to clean the dirt off before applying a protectant.
My neighbour has a Kona with plastic trims and he's struggled to keep them looking pristine. He also uses Back to Black, but the last time he cleaned them, he applied a beeswax polish afterwards, which looked fine at the time.
I've diversified a bit, the answer to the question you actually asked is, soapy water and elbow grease, but what you apply after cleaning is key to helping them stay looking good for longer.
I'm sure others will have experience of products on the market that can be applied to the trims to give some protection.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

I used on my Tiguan Auto glym vinyl and plastic cleaner after I have washed and cleaned it but you will have to reapply it once a month or there is a product called C4 PERMANENT TRIM RESTORER but only have to do it once a year.
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
Al94

Post by Al94 »

Not cheap but this is the best = I'm a huge fan of Autobead products, you get what you pay for. Used their graphene wax on my new Tucson last August and the water still beads off it almost 8 months later. https://www.autobead.co.uk/products/cer ... m-dressing
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Ultimate 5dr 2WD Auto
old man

Post by old man »

Al94 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:37 am Not cheap but this is the best = I'm a huge fan of Autobead products, you get what you pay for. Used their graphene wax on my new Tucson last August and the water still beads off it almost 8 months later. https://www.autobead.co.uk/products/cer ... m-dressing
Off topic a bit, sorry but can I ask how far the 100ml tub of graphene wax went ?
daibill

Post by daibill »

Got a bottle of this ready to go. Have used on previous cars. Coats wheels also

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/carpro-dlux-sealant-kit
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)
Al94

Post by Al94 »

old man wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:05 am
Al94 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:37 am Not cheap but this is the best = I'm a huge fan of Autobead products, you get what you pay for. Used their graphene wax on my new Tucson last August and the water still beads off it almost 8 months later. https://www.autobead.co.uk/products/cer ... m-dressing
Off topic a bit, sorry but can I ask how far the 100ml tub of graphene wax went ?
They claim up to 15 applications, maybe I was a bit heavy handed! I've done two cars and I would think there's enough for 3/4 more. Also some times it's on offer.
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Ultimate 5dr 2WD Auto
old man

Post by old man »

Al94 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:40 am
old man wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:05 am
They claim up to 15 applications, maybe I was a bit heavy handed! I've done two cars and I would think there's enough for 3/4 more. Also some times it's on offer.

Smashing, thankyou.
Jimmc

Post by Jimmc »

Autoglym bumper gel mid price range you can’t go wrong
Snakey205h

Post by Snakey205h »

download/file.php?mode=view&id=1028
I use this it’s so easy spray on and wipe off on plastic glass and paintwork no white marks or dust I paid £15 for 5litres off their website.

F4D0D54B-9257-428F-913A-3F1B44B45AA2.jpeg

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post