Does your petrol engine occasionally sound like a diesel?

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
roadster

Post by roadster »

The IC engine of my car is usually unnoticeable but there have been a few times when the revs shoot up and there is a rattle which is almost like a diesel on full power. It seems to be provoked by steep inclines or sudden increases in load when the car drops a gear or two. I've always run in ECO mode until now so there a hasn't been an rpm display. On my next trip I'll switch the display to RPM instead of the economy meter.
Tucson PHEV Premium

Pogleswood

Post by Pogleswood »

Hi

Yes I’ve noticed this as well.
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

I notice the same, i assumed it was because the engine kicks in for power when its cold. When the engine has warmed up i barely notice any noise
I love my car, it's just a shame it was made by Hyundai
roadster

Post by roadster »

DrElectron wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:41 am I notice the same, i assumed it was because the engine kicks in for power when its cold. When the engine has warmed up i barely notice any noise
Yes I think that is very likely. I am a bit worried that in this mild weather the engine will start up for a very short time and never actually warm up. This could be quite harmful and contrasts with the Toyota hybrid system which takes care of engine temperature by periodically running up the engine if the temperature drops below a certain threshold. After all the energy is not entirely wasted as it is stored in the traction battery.
Tucson PHEV Premium
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

My petrol (non-hybrid) now and then sounds quite noisy for about 10 seconds or so when I start it up, and the revs with stay above 1,000RPM, then it settles down. Assuming this is normal behaviour as I then don't really notice the engine while driving normally.
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

roadster wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:55 am
DrElectron wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:41 am I notice the same, i assumed it was because the engine kicks in for power when its cold. When the engine has warmed up i barely notice any noise
Yes I think that is very likely. I am a bit worried that in this mild weather the engine will start up for a very short time and never actually warm up. This could be quite harmful and contrasts with the Toyota hybrid system which takes care of engine temperature by periodically running up the engine if the temperature drops below a certain threshold. After all the energy is not entirely wasted as it is stored in the traction battery.
Especially if you have a PHEV and the engine is only starting in order to provide extra power .... cold to 1000s RPM probably isnt good for it long term
I love my car, it's just a shame it was made by Hyundai
roadster

Post by roadster »

DrElectron wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:50 am
roadster wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:55 am
Especially if you have a PHEV and the engine is only starting in order to provide extra power .... cold to 1000s RPM probably isnt good for it long term
I've configured the instruments to show engine temperature and RPM so that I can monitor this. On longer runs it is OK because once the engine has reached 80 to 90 deg C it seems to stay there indefinitely even if not running. I suppose this is because of active cooling which doesn't run the fan or water pump ( maybe!). On the other hand a short run in electric mode is OK provided you don't have a rush of blood and use full throttle. The kick down effect will induce a small lag while the ICE is starting up and it will run until the accelerator pedal is backed off. The temperature gauge is not moved off the bottom by this, so not so good.

Also noted that engine rpm when required is much higher than the RAV4 Hybrid.
Tucson PHEV Premium

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post