Maximum Speed on battery

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Jonnyblue

Post by Jonnyblue »

Good evening all.

Ordered our new in Tucson Hybrid in December 2021 but as per usual, the dealer hasn't a clue as to when it may arrive so I'll keep chasing them !Told it might be May but I'll not hold my breath.

Just a quick question to those who have a Hybrid, what's the maximum speed you get out of it on battery alone ?
The wife has a Toyota Yaris which I can get 47-48mph out of it, (on battery alone) before the engine takes over, so I was just wondering what the Tucson can do.
Test drove the Plug In variant at time of road test, mainly through town so didn't really get to find out.
Hope your all well
Thanks

Jon

mah006

Post by mah006 »

Jonnyblue wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:49 pm Good evening all.

Ordered our new in Tucson Hybrid in December 2021 but as per usual, the dealer hasn't a clue as to when it may arrive so I'll keep chasing them !Told it might be May but I'll not hold my breath.

Just a quick question to those who have a Hybrid, what's the maximum speed you get out of it on battery alone ?
The wife has a Toyota Yaris which I can get 47-48mph out of it, (on battery alone) before the engine takes over, so I was just wondering what the Tucson can do.
Test drove the Plug In variant at time of road test, mainly through town so didn't really get to find out.
Hope your all well
Thanks

Jon
All depends on throttle control, i have travelled at 70mph on motorway in EV mode but as soon as you touch the accelerator the engine kicks in.
You have to learn to drive differently like coasting & feathering the throttle to get the EV mode to work & get the best mpg out of the car, i am getting 48 mpg at the moment after 1000 miles :D
N Line S HEV Shadow Grey
roadster

Post by roadster »

The only simple answer is that it will reach the speed that 90 horse power can achieve in any particular circumstances. So you could be going down a long incline and the car will go to EV mode having reached that speed using some ICE in response to accelerator pedal demand. Even in electric mode the engine will engage if the driver requires more power than is available. A large and heavy SUV that only had a 90 HP engine might have an absolute top speed of ( say) 90mph on a level road so 70 to 80 might be a good guess for the PHEV.
Tucson PHEV Premium
Aelking

Post by Aelking »

I have had the hybrid go into ev mode at 80... Ahem... I mean 70 officer. But as soon as i touched anything it went back to the ice
Jonnyblue

Post by Jonnyblue »

Thanks for the relipes folks, kind of interesting to see what others can do & how much you need to change your driving style to get the best out of a hybrid or and type of EV.
After driving a Mercedes EQV and having it go to reduced power & a range of 1 mile when I got it back to the dealership, I'm glad I'm going hybrid for now rather than full EV !
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

As other have said, 70mph is easily do-able. The issue you have is that you are limited to 90ish horsepower in electric mode.
In EV mode if you are gentle on the accelerator the engine wont kick in, but ... if you put your right foot to the floor it will suddenly go from 90 to 265hp and your foot is still on the floor, can take you by surprise sometimes
My first and certainly last Hyundai: 2022 Tucson Phev Ultimate

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post