Using built in sat nav abroad

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
old man

Post by old man »

Has anyone used the built in sat nav in France, and if so, how did it fare ?
I'm off to France in a few weeks and I'm a bit wary of Hyundai sat nav, as when I took my Santa Fe to France in 2016, it tried to take me in completely the opposite direction I needed to straight out of the Chunnel. Hopefully their system has improved since then.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto

old man

Post by old man »

old man wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:05 am Has anyone used the built in sat nav in France, and if so, how did it fare ?
I'm off to France in a few weeks and I'm a bit wary of Hyundai sat nav, as when I took my Santa Fe to France in 2016, it tried to take me in completely the opposite direction I needed to go straight out of the Chunnel. Hopefully their system has improved since then.
stojced

Post by stojced »

old man wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:46 am
old man wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:05 am Has anyone used the built in sat nav in France, and if so, how did it fare ?
I'm off to France in a few weeks and I'm a bit wary of Hyundai sat nav, as when I took my Santa Fe to France in 2016, it tried to take me in completely the opposite direction I needed to go straight out of the Chunnel. Hopefully their system has improved since then.
You might try in German forum (https://www.tucson-forum.de/) I suppose they travel more to France.
old man

Post by old man »

stojced wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:44 pm
old man wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:46 am
You might try in German forum (https://www.tucson-forum.de/) I suppose they travel more to France.
Thankyou.
old man

Post by old man »

I've now been in France for over 2 weeks and I'm pleased to report that the sat nav is behaving well.
It has it's foibles as they all do, but it has gotten us to destinations that I preprogrammed whilst still in the UK and all those I've programmed here.
My only real criticism is that it is often too late telling me to leave a roundabout now, when in actual fact I've just left it.
Because the French have buxxered about with their speed limits in recent years, the satnav doesn't always get them right and it can't be relied upon to inform ,about all speed cameras sites.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

In France it's illegal for a device to tell you about speed cameras.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
old man

Post by old man »

alan sh wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:46 pm In France it's illegal for a device to tell you about speed cameras.
Yes, and apparently speeding is illegal as well :D
One has to ascertain if all of the facilities fitted to a car that I paid a lot of money for are actually functioning. :geek:
terryp

Post by terryp »

Yes, the Sat Nav doesn't tell you to leave the roundabout until you've started to turn the wheel. Fortunately, I use the "picture" of the roundabout to work out which exit I need.
With regard to the Sat Nav giving false directions when leaving the Chunnel, I have found that it needs to get it's bearings when changing countries. I often use the Ferry to Spain and even in my previous Renault, the map showed Plymouth for a few minutes before it "discovered" I was in Santander.
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
HowardCornwall

Post by HowardCornwall »

Hi everyone.
I've had my Tucson for a week and heading off to France at the weekend.
Can anyone tell me how to input an address in France before I leave ...
I seem to be stuck in the UK address book only!
Thanks.
old man

Post by old man »

Someone will have more recent knowledge than me as the way to do it may have changed with recent updates, but a year ago when I bought my car, before I left for France I just typed in all of the destinations I knew I'd be visiting and the sat nav easily found them without having to tell it the address was in France.
Since then, and I don't use my sat nav much here, I just use the Talk function. This has worked perfectly well here, so I assume it will in France as well.
I hope it does, cos I go there soon :)

Many bemoan the inbuilt nav, but it didn't let me down once during a month in France.