USB Data port charging power

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
stojced

Post by stojced »

Hi,

Just interested if someone tested power of USB charging while connected to Data port (For ex. for Android Auto). Is the charging power enough at least to keep phone without discharging ? Waiting for my Tucson to arrive, so want to know if I should look for those Y cables that can connect to both Data and charging port.

Tnks.

roadster

Post by roadster »

Yes it should be OK. The USB data and power connections are separate so there is no reason to think the charging would be compromised unless the drain from the device when active exceeded the available current or the current limit set by the device itself. ( I have a 12" Samsung tablet which won't charge when the display brightness is high no matter what the power source!) The cables you refer to are usually used for external devices which have a power demand exceeding that which is provided by the older types of laptop. Later USB specifications significantly increased the power limits.
Tucson PHEV Premium
stojced

Post by stojced »

roadster wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:53 am Yes it should be OK. The USB data and power connections are separate so there is no reason to think the charging would be compromised unless the drain from the device when active exceeded the available current or the current limit set by the device itself. ( I have a 12" Samsung tablet which won't charge when the display brightness is high no matter what the power source!) The cables you refer to are usually used for external devices which have a power demand exceeding that which is provided by the older types of laptop. Later USB specifications significantly increased the power limits.
Tnks. Just wanted to be sure, since some data ports are with very low power supply. In the case of Android Auto screen should not be issue since it will be off, more power drain would be from Mobile data connection, Wifi hotspot for sharing internet with car, Bluetooth connection with car, and sometimes GPS if you want to use Google maps or Waze instead of integrated navigation.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

I've got a OnePlus 8 which I connect. Uses Bluetooth and Android Auto and I've used Google Maps. It continued to charge with all that.

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
stojced

Post by stojced »

alan sh wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:53 am I've got a OnePlus 8 which I connect. Uses Bluetooth and Android Auto and I've used Google Maps. It continued to charge with all that.

Alan
Tnks great info :)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post