New Hybrid MPG

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
old man

Post by old man »

I haven't been a high mileage driver for many years now and partly due to that, it's rarely bothered me if a car has been a bit thirsty. I've always been willing to sacrifice some mpgs for a bit of engine power.
When I buy a new car, I always do a few brim to brim fill ups to get an accurate mpg figure and to see how far adrift the computer in the car is. Past experience tells me that the cars I've owned have never been more than 2 or 3 mpg adrift of the true figure.
A Skoda Kodiaq 2.0lt Petrol DSG I had for 3 years, rarely showed more than 27mpg in steady local driving and never more than 34mpg on a run, although in fairness I did often have a Canadian canoe on the roof.
The Skoda Kamiq 1.5lt Petrol DSG that followed it was somewhat better and regularly showed in the high 30s in normal driving and over 40mpg in steady local driving.

Now to my new Tucson 2WD Petrol Hybrid. I've only done 100 miles in it, so no brim to brim figures yet, but I've just driven a steady 16 miles to a supermarket and back, and as I pulled up on my drive the computer was showing I'd achieved 48 mpg. I know that figure drops off considerably when on the motorway doing 70+ with no electric propulsion, but WOW - I don't believe I've ever had a car that showed 48 mpg since I first bought my first car in 1967.
As I said, good mpg figures have never figured in my car choices, but in this day and age, it is gratifying to know I have a car capable of achieving them. :D
Last edited by old man on Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto

Wychwood

Post by Wychwood »

Good news! I have ordered the HEV version on the basis of hopefully achieving high 40s mpg or better. My recent petrol only cars could never get near the mpg of diesels I have owned; so believe the HEV should be a good transition to eventual all electric when range anxiety is no longer an issue.
Southern Lad

Post by Southern Lad »

Good to hear this old man. I will be coming from a Diesel where I'm getting a regular 56mpg. I was rather hoping I would be able to see late 40s mpg from the hybrid which helped me consider this purchase. Petrols I have had before have only ever been in the 30s mpg so this will be good news if can be regular. 👍
2022 1.6 H T-GDi 230ps Hybrid N Line S in Shadow Grey
xtrailman

Post by xtrailman »

old man wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:52 pm I haven't been a high mileage driver for many years now and partly due to that, it's rarely bothered me if a car has been a bit thirsty. I've always been willing to sacrifice some mpgs for a bit of engine power.
When I buy a new car, I always do a few brim to brim fill ups to get an accurate mpg figure and to see how far adrift the computer in the car is. Past experience tells me that the cars I've owned have never been more than 2 or 3 mpg adrift of the true figure.
A Skoda Kodiaq 2.0lt Petrol DSG I had for 3 years, rarely showed more than 27mpg in steady local driving and never more than 34mpg on a run, although in fairness I did often have a Canadian canoe on the roof.
The Skoda Kamiq 1.5lt Petrol DSG that followed it was somewhat better and regularly showed in the high 30s in normal driving and over 40mpg in steady local driving.

Now to my new Tucson 2WD Petrol Hybrid. I've only done 100 miles in it, so no brim to brim figures yet, but I've just driven a steady 16 miles to a supermarket and back, and as I pulled up on my drive the computer was showing I'd achieved 48 mpg. I know that figure drops off considerably when on the motorway doing 70+ with no electric propulsion, but WOW - I don't believe I've ever had a car that showed 48 mpg since I first bought my first car in 1967.
As I said, good mpg figures have never figured in my car choices, but in this day and age, it is gratifying to know I have a car capable of achieving them. :D
I had 60mpg showing on a 1.3s metro back in the day.
My 190ps Diesel Tiguan 4motion DSG has only shown 50 plus twice in 3 years.

On my Tucson 230ps test drive I got 39mpg showing which I thought was ok.
In the recent whatcar group test both the Sportage and Tucson gave just over 42mpg, Kuga was over 5mpg more..
Hockett

Post by Hockett »

Hi everyone. Had my tuscon 3 days and love it.
Still getting used to the bells and whistles. Or bings and bongs. Never had a new vehicle before.
I don't know what I'm doing different but going to try and include two pics as you my think I'm lying

IMG_20220306_153851_468.jpg

IMG_20220306_153818_392.jpg

Hockett

Post by Hockett »

I'm using the ev mode till it runs out completely then plug in again either at work and home. Usually over night as don't have access to fast charger yet. It's something I'm thinking of, what are people's thoughts on them
madowl

Post by madowl »

Problem with the mpg figures shown when using a PHEV is that it doesn't include the cost of charging the battery.
When I had one I found it was possible to show an mpg figure of 999 (the maximum it was capable of showing). I got this figure by only letting the ICE run for a few seconds on a trip and taking the reading when the battery ran out. Better to use an all costs per mile analysis.
madowl

Post by madowl »

Hockett wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:00 pm I'm using the ev mode till it runs out completely then plug in again either at work and home. Usually over night as don't have access to fast charger yet. It's something I'm thinking of, what are people's thoughts on them
Not sure about the Tucson PHEV but most recommend only using 80-90% of the battery to help preserve it's capacity.
old man

Post by old man »

The thread is about the Hybrid not the plug in Phev - the two are different.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Hockett

Post by Hockett »

Sorry my bag, new to forums to. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post