Luggage compartment power outlet

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
madowl

Post by madowl »

Trying to find out regarding the power outlet in the boot. Dealer didn't realy know.

I want to run a 12v large cool box from this socket. In the past with a diesel car I forgot to unplug it and it flattened the battery.
I know some cars work via ignition, some run on for a period of time after ignition off and others cut off if battery becomes low.

But which is it for the Tucson, anyone got an idea. Nothing in the handbook.
I know I can check to see if it is controlled by ignition but other than that???????

roadster

Post by roadster »

What sort of 12 volt supply is available depends on which model you have. My outlets are marked with a maximum recommended load but if they are not live when the car is off this may be irrelevant to you.
Tucson PHEV Premium
chrisdobb

Post by chrisdobb »

My Tucson is 2022 HEV Ultimate and I can confirm the boot power outlet is ignition controlled.
The power shuts down when ignition is Off, I power my dashcam from it.
roadster

Post by roadster »

chrisdobb wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:47 pm My Tucson is 2022 HEV Ultimate and I can confirm the boot power outlet is ignition controlled.
I'm far from certain but I suspect this model ( i.e. not the plug-in) has a lithium 12 volt supply with independent battery management which will maintain the 12 volt section from the main part of the traction battery even when not switched on. When the traction battery runs down to a certain point it will be unable to do this and the system will switch to battery conserving mode. The car can then be brought back to normal using the battery reset switch. Can you confirm that your car has the battery reset switch?

P.S. Another contributor has confirmed that his HEV does have the Lithium 12 volt supply and the battery reset switch. This means that if you take a live tap from a suitable fused source you should make sure that it is one that will shut off when the battery reaches its minimum safe depletion level. The Lithium battery energy reserve could unfortunately be very variable so your cooler run time may be unreliable. However once the vehicle is switched on the battery would be maintained by the engine running periodically as necessary. So if you were, for example, camping in the immediate vicinity this might work for you.
Tucson PHEV Premium
chrisdobb

Post by chrisdobb »

roadster wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:49 am
chrisdobb wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:47 pm My Tucson is 2022 HEV Ultimate and I can confirm the boot power outlet is ignition controlled.
I'm far from certain but I suspect this model ( i.e. not the plug-in) has a lithium 12 volt supply with independent battery management which will maintain the 12 volt section from the main part of the traction battery even when not switched on. When the traction battery runs down to a certain point it will be unable to do this and the system will switch to battery conserving mode. The car can then be brought back to normal using the battery reset switch. Can you confirm that your car has the battery reset switch?

P.S. Another contributor has confirmed that his HEV does have the Lithium 12 volt supply and the battery reset switch. This means that if you take a live tap from a suitable fused source you should make sure that it is one that will shut off when the battery reaches its minimum safe depletion level. The Lithium battery energy reserve could unfortunately be very variable so your cooler run time may be unreliable. However once the vehicle is switched on the battery would be maintained by the engine running periodically as necessary. So if you were, for example, camping in the immediate vicinity this might work for you.
Yes and yes. Mine has 12v battery reset switch to start car if and when 12v starting battery has low power.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post