Petrol particulate filter

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Adders

Post by Adders »

So having contacted the service department at my local dealer, he kind of just agreed with everything!

I think the forced regeneration is a physical thing (and not a turn the light off job) as the first time it took about 40m, a noticeable chunk of petrol and the car was like a sauna afterwards.

old man

Post by old man »

I took the time today to pop into my local dealer (no, not drugs !) and got to speak the the head tech. Not sure if I asked all the right questions, but here's what I learned which might be a bit garbled and not in any order - don't shoot the messenger !!

The problem doesn't seem to be widespread, but there have been enough cases for Hyundai to investigate.
The head tech had a virtual meeting with Hyundai technical yesterday and he's been told to record any relevant information pertaining to the GPF light coming on. Other garages will be doing the same.
Over time (no timescale given), Hyundai will collate all of the data that is sent to them and then try to find a fix for it, so this is not as far advanced as I'd thought/hoped it was.
When a fix comes, and this will depend on what the problem and the fix is, it will either come in the shape of a recall, or it will be applied to any cars that are taken into a dealer with a GPF light on.
The guy I spoke to has personally dealt with 2 of these cases, both of which were petrol only engines.
It is possible for them to extinguish the warning light, but they have actually done a proper regen because they are duty bound to do things properly, partly because Hyundai want to know all the details, and also because, if proper procedures aren't followed, Hyundai won't pay the dealership for any work carried out.

I asked if it was okay to continue driving with the GPF light on. He wanted to be non committal, but he indicated that he wouldn't be overly worried about doing so if it was his car. Please don't take it as read that it's okay to do this and make up your own mind, because in reality, it's not yet known what's causing this problem, therefore what happens when continuing to drive with the light is not known.
I asked about if my light should come on whilst I'm in France and could I get the dealer to just extinguish the light. He said that if the car is under guarantee, which they obviously all are, any dealer should follow the normal procedure laid down by Hyundai i.e. do a regen.
I offered the opinion that surely a GPF wouldn't be blocked after the low mileages that people are reporting here, but he was unable to answer that as it's not currently known what the cause is.
I also told him about dealers who are trying to charge if doing more than one regen. He was non committal about that too, which I understand as he's obviously loyal to the brand. However, it remains my opinion that as Hyundai are aware there's a problem which more dealers should now be becoming aware of, dealers should not be charging for any regens until a fix is found.
I told him I assumed that the ECU programming in a hybrid is different to a standard petrol version, with which he agreed. He said the programming is significantly different between those cars, which may or may not explain why we haven't seen any reported cases with hybrid versions. That is just hopeful speculation on my part though.

I asked about whether we should treat cars with GPFs in any special way (as I've been told there's no need) in the same way as a DPF. He told me that GPFs haven't been fitted to Tucsons for long, so the answer to that is currently unknown.

I hope this is of some help, although I suspect it will be of small consolation to those who've had a GPF light experience, or are about to.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
DWS

Post by DWS »

Just wanted to say that on behalf of myself and I am sure a lot of other drivers in this thread a sincere
thank you to old man for all the time he has put in trying to find us answers to this problem.
old man

Post by old man »

DWS wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:16 pm Just wanted to say that on behalf of myself and I am sure a lot of other drivers in this thread a sincere
thank you to old man for all the time he has put in trying to find us answers to this problem.

Thanks for that, much appreciated.
I have the time and the interest, so happy to help. :)
Southern Lad

Post by Southern Lad »

Just thought I would bring this thread back out of interest. Being as I have just had to put my Nissan Juke in for a forced regen due to orange management light alert of DPF blockage....

Has anybody on here experienced any further issues with this matter on their Tucson???

I ask because really I should not be having issues with my Juke as I do lots of motorway miles at a decent speed as well as other driving but this is the 3rd time I have suffered DPF issues during my ownership. Hopefully the purchase of a petrol Hybrid will eliminate these annoying issues.
2022 1.6 H T-GDi 230ps Hybrid N Line S in Shadow Grey
Lollipop

Post by Lollipop »

Update from my previous post:
Latest model 1.6 petrol manual

It has been 3 months since my car had its 4th forced regen and the GPF light has come on again, over the last 3 months I have purposely driven my vehicle up the motorway in 3rd gear at a constant 50mph for 30min as advised to do so by the dealership which has now proven to have been an expensive waste of time. I have also done several long journeys during normal driving within this period. It looks like another phone call to the dealership in the morning to see what other misinformation they are going to fob me off with.

In the past when the GPF light has come on I have tried on a number of occasions to carry out a regeneration myself but I have never been successful has anyone had success with turning this light off without having to take it back to the dealership.
WMiller

Post by WMiller »

I picked up my Tucson yesterday, and while being handed a load of papers to sign, one of them was about the GPF which was said under 'normal driving' the GPF would function without issues. I asked them to define 'Normal driving' and they couldn't. So, I refused to sign this form as it was basically saying the GPF isn't covered under warranty as it is driving style dependant, and if it goes then it's the drivers fault.

Has anyone else been given this GPF form to sign when picking up their new Tucson?
Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Ultimate + Tech Pack in Phantom Black.
old man

Post by old man »

WMiller wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:29 pm I picked up my Tucson yesterday, and while being handed a load of papers to sign, one of them was about the GPF which was said under 'normal driving' the GPF would function without issues. I asked them to define 'Normal driving' and they couldn't. So, I refused to sign this form as it was basically saying the GPF isn't covered under warranty as it is driving style dependant, and if it goes then it's the drivers fault.

Has anyone else been given this GPF form to sign when picking up their new Tucson?

That's a bloody poor show and says to me that Hyundai are not actively trying to find a fix , or maybe they are and can't find one.
Good on you for not signing and I certainly wasn't asked to sign anything in February.
daibill

Post by daibill »

Saw nothing like that when I collected at the beginning of May.. Wouldn't have signed that either.
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

Was that the dealer asking you to sign, or Hyundia themselves?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post