Petrol particulate filter

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Adders

Post by Adders »

👋
I have a petrol (only) Tuscon. I have had it from new since November and do mainly short journeys. My GPF light has just come on for the second time. The first time I waited for 40m and a chunk of petrol whilst a forced regeneration took place. I'm a bit loathe to do this again and it worries me more that I will be charged for this to occur 4 times a year for the next 3 years!
Can I ask 2 questions:
Can I ignore it?
Are we saying it's too late to try and drive it off, if the light is already on?
Thanks

old man

Post by old man »

[quote Can I ignore it?
Are we saying it's too late to try and drive it off, if the light is already on][/quote]

I actually haven't had this problem (yet!), but I made enquiries about it because I'm taking my car to France soon, where Hyundai dealerships are much thinner on the ground.
I spoke to the head tech at my dealer, who told me they've had some cars with this fault. He told me that having the light on does not cause the car to enter limp home mode and if it happened to me whilst in France, take it to a dealer, who should extinguish the light. He didn't say whether they'd accomplish that via a computer or by doing a forced regen (maybe they're one and the same).
He told me Hyundai are aware there's a software problem causing the light to come on and are currently working on a solution, but no timescale was given.
I should've asked more questions e.g. the ones you've just asked, so I don't know the answers to those. The nearest dealer to where I'm staying in France is an hour away and if my light comes on, I will drive to them.
Whether constantly ignoring the light over a longer period will harm your car, I don't know. That's a question you should ask at your dealer, preferably to the head tech, not the person on the service desk unless they've worked there a long time and you trust them.

Needless to say, the fault is acknowledged by Hyundai as being caused by their own software and therefore you should not be charged to have the light extinguished as it's a warranty issue. If your dealer refuses do it for free, I guess it's either because they don't know it's a Hyundai fault and there's a fix on the way, or they're just being ignorant. Either way, get them to contact Hyundai Technical who should tell them it's a known warranty problem.
If you get any more useful info from your dealer, please let us know.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Adders

Post by Adders »

Thanks for your advice/ response. It's doubly frustrating as we made the decision to go to a personal lease with maintenance to have a trouble free motoring experience and I avoided diesel knowing I did low mileage.
It's reassuring to know that hyundai is aware and seeking an answer.
How come that people on here are aware but the dealerships aren't(seemingly... Reading the advice that's being given from them)?
old man

Post by old man »

How come that people on here are aware but the dealerships aren't(seemingly... Reading the advice that's being given from them)
Good question. As you'll have seen, someone posted here that their light had come on, which was followed by others with the same problem. It was me (I think) that found out that Hyundai are aware and are working on a fix, but I don't know how recently Hyundai admitted there's a problem.
I don't know what systems, if any, are in place for dealers to find out about such problems. I know there's systems in place to tell dealers and customers about any recalls that crop up, but I assume this will be regarded as an update rather than a recall, so there will be less urgency.
I'm quite fortunate, in that my dealer is a smaller, family run business who don't seem to have a high turnover of staff. My experience with my previous Skoda dealer, was that of late, every time I went to the service desk, the staff had changed and the only thing they had in common was that they weren't up to date with dealership methods and the systems used in their cars.

Whilst forums such as this one can throw up a lot of red herrings because some answers are based on opinions rather than facts, thank God for them, because there's often much to be learned here.

With regard to the GPF light, I've yet to find out how we'll know when a fix is available. If it's treated as a recall, we will be informed, but if it comes as an update we might have to keep chasing our dealers until the fix is available.
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Hi folks. I've been following this topic for a while because when it first arose I assumed it would affect my PHEV at some time but it hasn't and I've done just over 3000 miles now since purchase, and most of those on 4-5 mile journeys on urban roads. I haven't noticed any other plug-in owners reporting the fault either which prompts the question "why". Anyone with any ideas?
old man

Post by old man »

KeithB1 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:57 pm Hi folks. I've been following this topic for a while because when it first arose I assumed it would affect my PHEV at some time but it hasn't and I've done just over 3000 miles now since purchase, and most of those on 4-5 mile journeys on urban roads. I haven't noticed any other plug-in owners reporting the fault either which prompts the question "why". Anyone with any ideas?
Just speculating, but the ECU on a PHEV and a HEV will have different programming to other models, so maybe PHEVs and HEVs aren't afflicted - hopefully. Bear in mind that the GPF light coming on is a software fault and is not because the filter is clogged up.
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

I hope you're right,old man, about hybrids not being affected but if it's a software fault and the filter isn't getting clogged, why does a forced re-gen clear it?
old man

Post by old man »

why does a forced re-gen clear it?
I don't know whether it's a physical regen or if the garage plugs a computer into the OBD port and clears the light that way.
The conversation I had with the head tech was by phone, I will try and get there in person and ask more questions i.e. the ones that are being thrown up here.

Interestingly, it would so far appear that the people here that have had a GPF light come on, plus one other over on HOCGB are all driving petrol only cars.

Also, and this is speculation based on my experiences of late with front of house staff at dealerships. It seems that people with this problem are being advised by dealers to treat their cars with GPFs in similar fashion to how DPFs should have been treated. I also assume that dealer staff are trotting out this advice based on the DPFs of old as they are assuming the a DPF and a GPF are the same.
Well very likely the filters are similar, but they are working to keep two different types of engine clean i.e. petrol vs diesel.

I reiterate; I have been told on 3 separate occasions by Honest John, a previous dealer and by discussion on a Skoda forum when GPFs began to appear in their cars, that GPFs do not need to receive any special treatment like DPFs do/did.
I did mention earlier in this thread, that as these lights are appearing so early the the cars life, maybe Hyundai have got something wrong, and this is borne out now by their admission that there's a software fault for which a fix is being sought.
It should be stated for those who don't already know, that car engines will last longer and stay cleaner if they do predominantly longer journeys which allow the engine to get hot and burn off any soot and internal condensation. Cars that predominantly do short journeys (school run, supermarket etc) are much more likely to give problems long term because they are running dirty.
I'm no mechanic and this is a simplistic view, but true nonetheless. Apologies to anyone who thinks I'm teaching them to suck eggs.
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

I think you're probably right about engines lasting longer if they do longer journeys but I'm less sure about how much that matters to those like me who use their cars on mainly short journeys. In 9 years+ I've only done 30k miles in my XF 3ltr diesel but it's been serviced every year which means the oil and filter have been changed every 3k miles or so meaning the engine never runs with really dirty oil and of course I'll probably wear out before the car does! I imagine we'll change the Tucson before anything major wears out so again not really worried about doing short journeys. Now if you buy 1 of my cars in a few years time you might think different....
old man

Post by old man »

but I'm less sure about how much that matters to those like me who use their cars on mainly short journeys.
Very few I should think. We've become a throwaway society and most folks just want to get in their cars and hope they start and stop at the appropriate time when required to do so.
I do think though, that if a car requires an amount of hot running to keep filters from clogging up, then new owners should at least be told that when they take possession.
Maybe when we're all driving electric cars, things will be simpler in terms of how a car should be maintained, that's if there's enough electric and charging points to go round. ;)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post