Oil Consumption: Running In Period

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Pixnic

Post by Pixnic »

Hi, newbie here - please be gentle, hopefully new car arriving soon.
Can't find anywhere, do any members have experience of engine oil consumption during running in period (first few thousand miles)?
What oil have you used to top up?
Thanks

old man

Post by old man »

I only got my car on Friday, so I can't speak for oil consumption in this one yet. Based on past experience I would expect it to use little or none. VAG cars of a few years back had a reputation of using oil during the first few thousand miles of ownership until everything had bedded in.
However, and this wasn't during running in and it was a diesel, I got caught out with low oil level in my first Hyundai in 2015. Luckily I had spare oil in the boot.
I have for a few years now, mainly because I travel to France on occasion, carry some spare oil in my car and to that end I asked my dealer to supply 1litre with this car and this is what they gave me;

It doesn't have to be the same make if you acquire some.
I asked the salesman if Hyundai fill the engine with a thinner oil from new to what the garage will fill it with at the first service like VAG do, but he reckons that the same oil will be used throughout the life of the car.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Pixnic

Post by Pixnic »

Thanks, I suspect oil quality might be a bit critical considering the seemingly complicated valve gear and the fact that they recommend 10k mile changes. My current VW group car has change at 20k or 2 years, the ICE output is very similar to the Tuscon which suggest Hyundai are making the oil work harder. This car used about 1 litre of oil during first 3k miles then nothing after, hence my original query.
I'm a bit surprised they recommended 0-30 to you as I thought 0-20 was specified.
old man

Post by old man »

They didn't recommend that oil, that's what they actually gave me, so if it were to give problems (unlikely) then that would be their fault. Even if there was 0-20 already in the engine, I don't think using 1ltr of 0-30 will cause problems as a top up.
Unlike VAG (I had 2 Skodas previous to this Tucson), my dealer said that they use the same spec oil when the car is serviced as it was filled with in the factory.
That saves all the confusion that I came across on a Skoda forum and at my dealer and I prefer to have my oil changed every year or 10,000 miles. That's the regime I've always followed.
I do have 2 X 1ltr bottles of 0-20 that my Skoda dealer supplied, which I would have used as a top up in the Tucson if needed, but as the Hyundai dealer gave me 0-30, that's what I will use.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post