Excessive oil consumption

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
bigknickers

Post by bigknickers »

Hello gang, I have a 66 plate 1.6 manual petrol Tucson, I've had it from 16K 2 years ago n it now has 30K on it. The thing is now swallowing oil, are any of you having the same problem? I do 12K a year up the motorway to work 35 mins each way at never more than 60mph n it gives me 47mpg which is great.........but pretty useless when the engine is knackered n needs either new valve stem oil seals or new piston rings??...........anyone got the same problem?

Keith1956

Post by Keith1956 »

If you start your engine after being left for a few hours and you see a puff of smoke from exhaust it's probley valve stem seals letting oil down the guides, if it smokes all the time more than likely piston rings letting oil into combustion chamber.
Alfie97

Post by Alfie97 »

Seems to be a problem on a batch of se navs non turbo, mine has always used oil from new. 1000 miles and uses about 4 litres of oil can’t believe it. Hyundai uk need to put there hands up and replace engines.
Deedee84

Post by Deedee84 »

I am glad I have come across this page. My 16 plate Tucson has started using up a lot of oil over the last year and I have been told that it is normal for big cars. I’m having to top it every month if not doing any long journeys and more frequent if doing motorway journeys. What can we do here in the UK? I have noticed a few pages online about America and how they have started a lawsuit on this issue, so surely there is something we can do here 🤔
tuscontrustissues

Post by tuscontrustissues »

I have the exact same problem, I complained to them when it was under warrenty and they ignored me.

Apparently (according to my mechanic I may as well just bin the car because it would be too costly to fix)
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

Alfie97 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:16 pm Seems to be a problem on a batch of se navs non turbo, mine has always used oil from new. 1000 miles and uses about 4 litres of oil can’t believe it. Hyundai uk need to put there hands up and replace engines.
4 litres of oil every 1000 miles! Your car must be smoking like a chimney assuming it's being burnt and it's not leaking from somewhere. Must cost you a fortune in oil and surely even Hyundai can't defend that level of oil loss, particularly if its done it from new.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post