luxury vehicle tax

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions

Have you paid £40K or more for a new Tucson on the road after taking account of any discounts?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:35 am

Yes
14%
No
86%

Total votes: 7

NLineS

Post by NLineS »

I've been thinking about the extra luxury road tax charge that some of us will have to pay as the list price of some Tucsons are over £40K. I'd be interest to know if people are actually paying this list price on these over £40K spec vehicles or if it's all a scam.

Itchycat1

Post by Itchycat1 »

Even if you pay below the 40k it's the mrp that is considered for the additional road licence..hence I didn't buy the the ultimate once even though I could have purchased way below the £40k.
The extra £325 rfl buys a lot of fuel and didn't make economical sense.
madowl

Post by madowl »

NLineS wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:35 am I've been thinking about the extra luxury road tax charge that some of us will have to pay as the list price of some Tucsons are over £40K. I'd be interest to know if people are actually paying this list price on these over £40K spec vehicles or if it's all a scam.
Don't pay list price for any new vehicle. 18% discount I would think is typically what you can get for a Tucson but you do need to shop around.
Of course this doesn't reduce the list price for tax purposes.
Keith1956

Post by Keith1956 »

I believe the road tax is based on manufacturers list price and is not based on discount price, so if you get a discount which takes you under the threshold you will still pay the higher road tax.
xtrailman

Post by xtrailman »

Its charged on the list price when registered, not when you bought it or what you paid for it.
focusy

Post by focusy »

The luxury car tax is based upon rrp .Regardless if you negotiate a discount if the rrp is over 40k you pay the additional for 5 yrs It was a great consideration for us. As we wanted the plug in.
chrisdobb

Post by chrisdobb »

Luxury car tax is charged on the P11D charge for that vehicle, so even if you order your new car at a price below £40,000 and there is then a price increase to take the price above £40,000 you will then need to pay the higher VED.
So you CAN end up paying the highe rate even if you actually pay below the magic £40,000.
xtrailman

Post by xtrailman »

To be precise its based on the list price at registration less the VED and FRF
NoTwOld

Post by NoTwOld »

I also think if you were to buy a pre reg or second hand vehicle that cost more than 40k new but you got it a lot cheaper you still have to pay the Lux Tax
Ram man

Post by Ram man »

You may get a big discount but you’ll be on the bottom of the waiting list! I only got £2250 off but only waited 7 weeks for my 22 N line S and so was well chuffed
I too didn’t go for the plug in as the extra tax didn’t work for me

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post