Stalling issue

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Cservice_84

Post by Cservice_84 »

Hello I have a 21 plate premium straight petrol tucson. I am having issues when the car doesnt want to pull on the clutch alone. When in slow moving traffic if you lift off the clutch the car acts like it wants to stall, this also happens when reversing. Seemingly you need to throttle the car constantly? I've had diesels the majority of my life and had to switch to petrol for this. It just seems hard work to drive it. My wife also is having the same issues so it cant be driver related.

roadster

Post by roadster »

The contrast between diesel and petrol engines is what you have noticed. Diesel engines are governed to an engine speed which is dictated by the accelerator pedal and they also have much heavier flywheels so they are virtually impossible to stall and will quite happily trundle along without any pedal input and can usually even do that in second gear. There is no particular limit to the power which can be provided at idle speed because the governor will just inject more fuel to maintain that speed as necessary.

The petrol engine, even the modern fuel injected electronic one, controls power output by literally throttling the air which the engine is sucking in. The idle speed is usually controlled electronically to keep the engine at set idle speed by bleeding more air in, but there is little or no power generated and the idle system is not designed to inject more fuel to provide it.
Tucson PHEV Premium
xtrailman

Post by xtrailman »

You would have been better getting one of the electric assisted versions, such as the hybrid.
roadster

Post by roadster »

xtrailman wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:50 am You would have been better getting one of the electric assisted versions, such as the hybrid.
... or just the automatic.
Tucson PHEV Premium
Vambo

Post by Vambo »

I agree with Cservice_84. I have a straight diesel which does like to stall, particularly when using the Auto Hold. I need to remember to build up the revs a little to avoid it.
daibill

Post by daibill »

Got a ICE Manual premium as well. Came from a diesel Jag and wife has a diesel as well so I know what you are saying. However in the Tucson, it is possible to just use he clutch to creep forward in traffic and also with reverse parking. Just allow the clutch to lightly bite, hold it then pull up the rest of the way.
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)
Keith1956

Post by Keith1956 »

Have had same problem with my Hyundai 1600cc se nav, thought it was me, have changed fuel from the cheaper 10% ethanol to the "super" 5% fuel, hey presto no stalling and engine runs so much smoother.
XADE

Post by XADE »

I wondered if the throttle response was part of using 'Eco' mode but I agree, I've stalled the car a couple of times. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it just doesn't respond how I expect it to.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
Unimatrix

Post by Unimatrix »

I have to agree with this.
I stalled more times in the first week having this car than the previous 2 years with my 1 lire Xceed.
Now I just rev it a bit more when pulling away.
2022 Tucson Ultimate Petrol

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post