Alarm system

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
old man

Post by old man »

Unfortunately, when customers require to turn the internal alarm off in case they leave their dogs in the vehicle we do have to warn customers it does turn off the alarm system for the entire vehicle."
Based on my experience with the last cars I've owned, that sounds like total tosh to me. Even a new Golf I bought in 1999 had facility to turn off the interior alarm.
Leading up to taking delivery of my Tucson next week, in an effort familiarise with certain aspects of the car, I have contacted Hyundai via the chat line and then been passed on to customer service (when I've pushed them) and finally to their technical dept.
I have thus far been totally underwhelmed with their responses and have not had a decisive answer yet. Chocolate teapot springs to mind !!
In your place I would definitely seek the advice of the chief tech in your dealership and others if need be. Also, try and find a salesperson who's running a Tucson as a demo as they might have your answer.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto

Big S

Post by Big S »

In an effort to help Rossandjet further, I have tried the alarm system under various situations after it has been disabled in the setup menu. I can report back that on my Ultimate HEV MY21 version the alarm does not activate after being disabled when opening a door after locking it on the key fob or exterior door handle button or leaving it unlocked and opening any door without the key fob in my pocket.. Obviously I haven't tried breaking into the car like a thief would as I didn't fancy the repair bill. So it looks like Hyundai may be correct, they could have changed it on the MY22 version which someone else can report on.

Oldman just because you have been able to disable the alarm on your previous cars which some have been from the VA Group that's not a fair comparison as they are engineered by Germans which Hyundai are not. I think it incorrect to post that what Hyundai have said is ' tosh ' as you put it because you don't have a Tuscon in your possession yet.
I too have contacted Hyundai HQ about a couple of other things and they haven't got back to me which is poor.!!!
old man

Post by old man »

Oldman just because you have been able to disable the alarm on your previous cars which some have been from the VA Group that's not a fair comparison as they are engineered by Germans which Hyundai are not. I think it incorrect to post that what Hyundai have said is ' tosh ' as you put it because you don't have a Tuscon in your possession yet.
I too have contacted Hyundai HQ about a couple of other things and they haven't got back to me which is poor.!!!
First off, my TOSH remark was aimed at the customer services dept, who I have dealt with and I've found them severely lacking in information given, especially the chat line service. Maybe I should have made that plainer, but it's plain in my dealings thus far, that they don't know their onions!

Like you, I was trying to help Rossandjet by suggesting things he could try that work in other cars. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, but I did overlook the fact he hasn't yet got his car.
I'm fully aware that Koreans aren't Germans, but many systems work the same or are similar because much is copied from other manufacturers. Not only that, there have been and are, several German engineers and designers employed in the Korean motor industry who will pass on what they have learned in Europe.
Much of the Chinese motor industry is based on European knowhow and especially German technology, so there is much crossover in systems used throughout the world.
Big S

Post by Big S »

Like you, I was trying to help Rossandjet by suggesting things he could try that work in other cars. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, but I did overlook the fact he hasn't yet got his car.
I'm fully aware that Koreans aren't Germans, but many systems work the same or are similar because much is copied from other manufacturers. Not only that, there have been and are, several German engineers and designers employed in the Korean motor industry who will pass on what they have learned in Europe.
Much of the Chinese motor industry is based on European knowhow and especially German technology, so there is much crossover in systems used throughout the world.
[/quote]

Totally agree with you!!!
Alarm wise the Koreans obviously decided to do their own thing and deactivate the alarm completely when you turn it off in the setup menu, as is on the MY21 version.
old man

Post by old man »

Just got the car home on the drive, haven't had time to play with much tech yet, but I can confirm that there is a button on the drivers door with which you can lock/unlock the doors from inside the car whilst you're sitting in it.
There is a owners handbook in the infotainment system. Haven't tried it yet, but salesman thinks you have to take a pic on your phone of the barcode thingy that comes up, which should then enable you to view the handbook on your phone.
old man

Post by old man »

Dear Rossandjet, here's a photo of a page of the handbook concerning alarms.

I could be wrong here - I have been twice before :o - and I'm not brilliant a following written instructions, but I read this as saying that the interior alarm can be turned off.
I've been out to the car and locked the car with the fob whilst I was inside, then I waved my arms about, which after a few seconds activated the alarm.
I reset the alarm and then went into settings and switched off the Advanced Anti Theft function, locked the car whilst I was inside again, waved my arms about as before, which this time did NOT set off the alarm.
This tells me that the interior alarm can be switched off without deactivating the whole alarm system. The Advanced Anti Theft feature would have to be deactivated each time you wanted to use it, and although it's not as simple as as touching a button or a switch, it's easy to do once you familiarise yourself with the system.

I'm a little disappointed that control of the alarm system can't all be done via the key fob as it was on my previous Skodas, but that's only because I had gotten used to that system.
Rossandjet

Post by Rossandjet »

Well, at least you have got your car to play with. Thanks for the update and keep trying. I went onto the Ioniq forum and someone has asked the same question about his dog, with no result.
Rossandjet

Post by Rossandjet »

Hi Old man, I just picked this up from the Ioniq forum and as you now have your car maybe you could try it out. If you don't have a dog, put the wife in the boot and tell her to bark Haha.
Ginsoakedboy21 said:
I'd like to be able to leave the dog in the car for 5 mins whilst I pop into the shop without the little scamp setting the alarm off.
I had the same problem. The solution was to disable the ROA, Rear occupant alarm
Rossandjet

Post by Rossandjet »

A Hyundai Tech man explained the correct method to disarm the internal alarm.
Go into settings
Vehicle
Conveniences
Then UNTICK the advanced anti-theft.

I think this is the same way Old Man explained.

I have tried this method with my son inside the car barking like a dog, and it did work.

I know it's not the one button press that many of us have used on other cars, but it is still better than putting tape over the sensors.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post