True MPG Phev

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
old man

Post by old man »

focusy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:04 pm really? try me ! the illustration put the phev on par with diesel, or maybe. you can't give a valid reason apart from trolling the chat?
I don't do trolling, it's called ironic humour. I did say you wouldn't understand. :D
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto

focusy

Post by focusy »

KeithB1 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:33 pm I think it's beyond doubt that rising electricity costs are going to have a serious impact on the cost of running a PHEV Tuscon, but I'm perfectly happy with the choice I made, based on the information that was available to me at the time-August last year. My wife and I both like the car very much for various reasons and although fuel cost was certainly a factor in our decision to buy it wasn't the only one or even the most important one. I'm not going to worry about the present costs or what they might rise to in April. The worst case scenario is that I run the car on petrol and I'm confident even then it will be more fuel efficient than what we had before. I've already explained how I calculate our fuel costs and on fairly short journeys we're getting the equivalent of around 38-40mpg, which I expect will improve with the weather. Having said all that I do think manufacturers should (or should be made to) come up with a better way of expressing the mpg figures for PHEVs. Figures in the hundreds, but ignoring the cost of the electricity consumed, are clearly totally useless.
thank you Keith for the feedback. are you showing 30 miles max on the battery when using or have you manage to achieve more, as its not been the best weather, so it should be worst case :-)
focusy

Post by focusy »

:P
old man wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:39 pm
focusy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:04 pm really? try me ! the illustration put the phev on par with diesel, or maybe. you can't give a valid reason apart from trolling the chat?
I don't do trolling, it's called ironic humour. I did say you wouldn't understand. :D
:P
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

No it's not, old man, it's called being rude!
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Hello focusy. When I recharege the battery the max range I get is 35, although for some reason it momentarily shows 37 before going to 35. I rarely do long journeys in the car-I've got a 3ltr diesel XF for that- but on the 1 occasion we did do a long journey I think we did get the 35 miles before the battery range was down to zero. That was in Setember, tho', before the weather got colder. Doing short journeys it's impossible to know how many miles you actually do on the battery alone because the car switches from battery to engine and back when it feels like it.
Itchycat1

Post by Itchycat1 »

I have had real issues deciding upon let her the full hybrid or when both in Ultimate spec.my thought our and this is speculative and am happy to be corrected is.
Additional cost for phev £3500
Installing power point £ 500 ?
Additional road tax. £ 325

Total additional cost compared to phev £4325.00.
Assumption car kept for 4 years.
Assuming I used the phev to its Max potential only doing 30 miles a day 7 days a week ,so useing no or very little fuel. (Highly impractical).
210 miles p/w approx 11000 miles per annum.😁
Cost of power point and additional road tax equates to £125.00 p/a plus £325.00 =£450 additional running cost of phev in comparison to fill hybrid.

Hybrid running 11000 miles p/a averaging 45 mpg
Costs £1665.00 in fuel.
Phev running cost 11000 miles p/a averaging 65 mph cost £ 1152.00 in fuel plus additional £325 rd tax plus cost of £125.00 p/a for power point. Totals £1602.00.
So comparison running cost doing 11000 miles p/a shows a saving of approx £60 a year running a phev ? This doesn't include any costs for electricity usage which I imagine would cost £2.00 a day to charge making the phev totally uncompetitive against the full hybrid.?
Am I missing something ,are my figures incorrect wildly unrealistic. I calculated petrol at £6.81 per gallon which is approx what I currently pay.
I appreciate the phev is 4 wheel drive but that comes at the additional purchase price.

Very confused by my calks ,input and thoughts appreciated
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Hello Itchycat1. My first observation is that you appear to have assumed the extra purchase price of the PHEV will not be partially recovered when the car is sold/traded in after 4 yrs. I can't say for sure the PHEV will get a better price than the Hybrid but all things being equal it ought to.

Secondly, your calculations are based on assumed mpg figures for the 2 models-how have you arrived at these? I haven't seen any reports on here or anywhere else of what mpg Hybrid owners are getting. It would be interesting to get some feedback from Hybrid owners. The problem with the PHEV is how do you calculate a realistic mpg when the car runs some of the time on battery power. In any case fuel consumption will vary considerably with the type of use the vehicle in question gets.

Finally, there may be factors other than cost to consider. One of the reasons I bought a PHEV was simple availability-I test drove and ordered it in mid August and took delvery on September 1st! Bearing in mind the horror stories on here of delayed delivery times, I'm glad I did. There's also the flexibility the PHEV gives the driver-as long as you don't want to do a long journey, the availability of petrol isn't an issue. With a hybrid, no petrol =no car!

To be honest I think the hybrid might well work out cheaper to run for most users but I like my car and I'm not worried if it's a bit more expensive to own. I think at the time I made the right choice for me, but others might have chosen differently in their own circumstances.
Big S

Post by Big S »

I have tried to stay away from this thread because I don't really get concerned with MPG and it is causing mixed feelings on the subject. But as an Ultimate Hybrid owner I am getting between 40-45 in the current ambient conditions, and I don't drive like miss Daisy so to speak, but haven't been on a very long journey lately. When I do I may report back if this subject is still running.
focusy

Post by focusy »

We went for plug in for the benefit of free electric motoring and the potential surcharge to drive into city centre. It’s all a balancing act. But we were going all electric originally but felt the infrastructure isn’t ready or the people etiquette at the charging points 🤣
NoTwOld

Post by NoTwOld »

There have been a coupe of post on here about MPG in the past one was mine, I have the Ultimate hybrid, in the warmer weather it was showing 51+mpg but in the recent cold conditions it has dropped to 48+ as shown on trip computer, I have also done fill up to fill up using milage covered to calculate and it was about 3 to 4 mpg less than trip computer, also not a Ms Daisy driver

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post