True MPG Phev

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

Hi all there have been a lot of people complaining of the Mpg on their new Tucson phew car.
As most of us have/had large SUV's in diesels and are trying to compare.

For example my Tiguan has 2.0 tdi engine and is 150bhp engine a 70 liter tank, the car give around 40-52 mpg and
can do around 550-600 miles to a tank full if I'm careful.
which everybody is comparing old car for new.

Now then the official Mpg on the Tucson phev is 201Mpg?? :lol: :lol:
being a automatic and all wheel drive??

In real life depends when you drive the car which I have done some research and please correct me if I'm wrong.

The car in winter will use the car engine to heat up the cab, defrost the window ect and after 3-4 miles Ev will be enabled.

The Tucson in standard 150 bhp petrol engine or the 230 bhp hybrid has a 52 liter fuel tank, BUT the Phev has a 42 liter tank as it uses
some of the room for the battery. so the with the fuel tank a little over 9 gallons UK.

The car will average 39-46 mpg with it running in hybrid form which I can see in forums.
where the car really comes to life is in pure electric motor mode that it can do 30-40 miles which if you do short journeys in spring or summer
or autumn this car will shine.
So with its smaller tank it will only do 350-420 miles before filling up.

so please correct me if you are have more MPG.
Jools
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman »

Would just like to point out that both the Tiguan and the Tucson power ratings are PS not BHP.

I never understand the logic in claiming MPG for a PHEV as its the cost per mile that includes petrol and electric charges?
However with those ranges you have calculated you might as well buy the EV6.
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

I agree re using the cost per mile as the best yardstick. If you want an equivalent mpg figure for comparison's sake you can divide the cost of petrol per gallon by the pence/mile figure, although you have to bear in mind that a change in the price of petrol will change your mpg as will the weather but that's true of petrol/diesel engines as well. For what it's worth since I've been keeping a record my Tuscon phev's cost per mile equates to 38-40 mpg on typical journeys of around 5 miles but on longer journeys its proved to be capable of around 50 mpg which I am perfectly happy with.
roadster

Post by roadster »

The true cost depends entirely on how often you charge the battery and on the length of your journey so it will vary wildly. My present electricity cost is 17p per KWh. So charging at 10 amps ( 2.3 KW ) for six hours cost me 14 X 17p = £2.38 . This is the first time I have done this having only just got the car but assuming it will do thirty miles cost is around 8p per mile. In the best case a car of this size might achieve 50 mpg or about 14 pence per mile. It wouldn't surprise me if the cost of electricity doubles in the next year so I will be looking for some sort of off-peak reduced cost which could be possible with a smart meter.
Tucson PHEV Premium
focusy

Post by focusy »

so im reading this thread correctly, the Tiguan has a 70 litre tank. and the phev has 48 litre tank

the delta based on current petrol prices. of 1.45 a litre. is 22 litre. so costing £31.90. to fill up that part of the tank, however.

using. My present electricity cost is 17p per KWh. So charging at 10 amps ( 2.3 KW ) for six hours cost me 14 X 17p = £2.38

the same volume on the phev is @2.38

now im thinking a crude way of working the distance is. you indicated on the Tiguan. that it does 550 to 600 if driven careful to 70 litres. so taking 585 being in the middle

585/70 =8.35 miles to a litre. x22 (delta between the 2 fuel tanks) =183 miles for 22 litre of diesel.

we know that people are getting more than 30 miles out of battery. but lets stick with battery

183. / 30 = 6 charges. 6 x2.38. = £14.51. so the same distance on the electric is cheaper than the Tiguan,

so for the same value it costs you to fill up that 22 litre delta. you could get

31.90 /2.38 =13.5. charges. x30 miles from the battery = a total distance of 405 miles. so for the 22 litre your nearly getting a free tank distance diesel from the Tiguan? or am I wrong?
old man

Post by old man »

SO glad I'm not getting a PHEV !! :roll:
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
focusy

Post by focusy »

why?
old man

Post by old man »

focusy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:02 amwhy?

If you have to ask the question I doubt you'd understand the answer.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
focusy

Post by focusy »

really? try me ! the illustration put the phev on par with diesel, or maybe. you can't give a valid reason apart from trolling the chat?
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

I think it's beyond doubt that rising electricity costs are going to have a serious impact on the cost of running a PHEV Tuscon, but I'm perfectly happy with the choice I made, based on the information that was available to me at the time-August last year. My wife and I both like the car very much for various reasons and although fuel cost was certainly a factor in our decision to buy it wasn't the only one or even the most important one. I'm not going to worry about the present costs or what they might rise to in April. The worst case scenario is that I run the car on petrol and I'm confident even then it will be more fuel efficient than what we had before. I've already explained how I calculate our fuel costs and on fairly short journeys we're getting the equivalent of around 38-40mpg, which I expect will improve with the weather. Having said all that I do think manufacturers should (or should be made to) come up with a better way of expressing the mpg figures for PHEVs. Figures in the hundreds, but ignoring the cost of the electricity consumed, are clearly totally useless.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post