True MPG Phev

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
madowl

Post by madowl »

DrElectron wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:47 am
madowl wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:48 pm the cost of the electricity which can cost you about the same per mile as fuel.
I don't know what you based that on, but my calculations yield the following:

Petrol 13.9p per mile (based on fuel costing 158.9 and achieving 52mpg)

To get the equivalent cost in electric mode you'd need to be paying 37.0p per KWh

That's assuming 32 miles per charge (accurate based on my experience, but depends on journey type) and 12KWh from empty to charged (based on my measurements)

I don't know what the going rate is for electricity but my tariff is 16p and I also charge for free at Tesco.

But there is something even more important to consider here ...

Based on the manufacturers data, the CO2 emissions of the HEV are 204g per mile. using the above 32 miles per charge and 12KWh electricity to get that, it works out at 545g/KWh to be comparable.
I've been collecting data from National Grid over the last couple of months and based on my location, the highest CO2 emissions per KWh has been 396g, the lowest has been just 55g. average of 248g.
So, on average every electric mile has half the emissions of a petrol fuelled mile.
If you live in the north of England or Scotland, those emissions rarely pass 50g and are regularly close to 0g
Well they are cetainly not based on 16p per kwh as the price under the energy cap from April is 28.43p plus tax. That is over 12p per mile on electric if you manage to get the full 32 miles. To fully charge the PHEV is nearly 14 kwh.
The National Grid figures are their production figures. As energy is lost in transmission and delivery, and that a significant percentage of generation goes unused, the figures can't really be used for anything but comparison by the industry.

Itchycat1

Post by Itchycat1 »

Had the ultimate hybrid 230 ,three weeks now and only just started to use it ,First 100 miles commuting and local shops ,however did a 70 mile round trip mainly motorway and a visit to Wales this weekend approx 180 miles total and car suggesting I am getting 47.7 mpg. Motorway speed between 55 and 65 due to conjestion and roadworks so car has basically cruised to achieve this mileage .

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post