Roof bars

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Tommo

Post by Tommo »

I have just purchased a 2022 model Tucson phev ultimate it has the flush roof rails, I’m looking to fit some roof bars that can stay on all the time still allowing me to use the sunroof, Hyundai say the ones they sell have to be removed to open the sunroof as they are too low and the sunroof will hit the bars, I contacted a Thule dealer and there’s are the same, has anyone in this group found a solution or an alternative supplier? Thanks in advance

Big S

Post by Big S »

Tommo wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:50 pm I have just purchased a 2022 model Tucson phev ultimate it has the flush roof rails, I’m looking to fit some roof bars that can stay on all the time still allowing me to use the sunroof, Hyundai say the ones they sell have to be removed to open the sunroof as they are too low and the sunroof will hit the bars, I contacted a Thule dealer and there’s are the same, has anyone in this group found a solution or an alternative supplier? Thanks in advance
That's crazy!!!! So according to Hyundai don't buy a Tuscon with a Pano roof if you want to fit cross bars.
Someone asked what height the Pano roof was from the roof of the car in an previous post. The answer was 7cm's.
So you need cross bars that will do this, maybe someone will post on here soon which one's to buy.
Looking at the car from the side with the Pano roof open it only protrudes approx 1 cm higher than the full length rails that the car comes with so surely cross bars are available.
AZ2021

Post by AZ2021 »

It was I who asked about the height of the sunroof. I have just bought Cruz Airo Fix bars, and fixing kit, for the SE I currently have. The SE doesn't have the sunroof but having measured these bars still about 75mm off the roof, at the lowest point, so I am confident that they will be ok with the panoramic roof on my Ultimate when I get it.

I'm not a little concerned/hopefully that the distance between the feet will be suitable for the panoramic roof width wise.

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbveh ... oKKTwHHf7h
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid, with tech pack.
Big S

Post by Big S »

Hi Tommo
Between AZ2021 and myself hopefully this has helped your situation, which is sometimes what Forums are all about.
The glass is around 20mm from the roof rail when fully open measured at the front. Its wider during its opening phase due to the curvature of the glass and the bar itself. Its wider at the back but there is plenty of room to move the rear bar back a bit providing you are not using a short top box.
AZ2021

Post by AZ2021 »

Tommo wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:50 pm I have just purchased a 2022 model Tucson phev ultimate it has the flush roof rails, I’m looking to fit some roof bars that can stay on all the time still allowing me to use the sunroof, Hyundai say the ones they sell have to be removed to open the sunroof as they are too low and the sunroof will hit the bars, I contacted a Thule dealer and there’s are the same, has anyone in this group found a solution or an alternative supplier? Thanks in advance
@Tommo if you measure how far in from the inside of the rails the panoramic roof starts I can give you an idea of where the feet start?
AZ2021

Post by AZ2021 »

Haha Big S and I were posting at the same time, great minds.
old man

Post by old man »

Glad I had a look at this forum and this thread.
I have a new N Line S on its way, so a sunroof is standard. I have roof bars on my car permanently to carry boats and I hadn't considered the fact that a sunroof might foul them,
I am currently having the dilemma of ordering a new Thule footpack and fitting kit (very expensive !) to use with my current bars, or getting a different make of bars (cheaper).
I guess I'd better wait until the car arrives.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
old man

Post by old man »

Having now gotten my car, I can confirm that the sunroof will foul roof bar feet. I haven't attached the roof bars yet, so I don't know if the sunroof would hit them, but that's superfluous because it would foul the feet first.
As Thule have affirmed, the roof would foul their feet, but I ended up buying roof bars and feet from Micks Garage specifically for the Tucson at a cost of £95 and the roof fouls these as well.

As an aside, if like me anyone is changing from another car to a Tucson and they already have Thule bars but need a new footpack and fitting kit ( for which Roofbox etc want £165), Thule bars will fit onto the Tucson footpack I got from Micks which they can supply separately from the bars and it costs £40
old man

Post by old man »

old man wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:18 pm Having now gotten my car, I can confirm that the sunroof will foul roof bar feet. I haven't attached the roof bars yet, so I don't know if the sunroof would hit them, but that's superfluous because it would foul the feet first.
As Thule have affirmed, the roof would foul their feet, but I ended up buying roof bars and feet from Micks Garage specifically for the Tucson at a cost of £95 and the roof fouls these as well.

As an aside, if like me anyone is changing from another car to a Tucson and they already have Thule bars but need a new footpack and fitting kit ( for which Roofbox etc want £165), Thule bars will fit onto the Tucson footpack I got from Micks which they can supply separately from the bars and it costs £40
Some good news - I was mistaken about the bars and fitting kit I bought from Micks Garage. I fitted them properly today and as long as the rear bar is fitted further back than the sunroof opens, the sunroof does not foul the bars or the feet. Also, be sure to fit the front bar behind where the wind deflector opens.
I did try using my old Thule bars with the foot pack from the new bars. The feet do fit the Thule bars okay, but because my Thule bars are longer than is recommended for the Tucson and because the distance between the Tucson roof rails is narrower at the rear that the front, the rear bar would not fit. Shorter Thule bars may well work.
Fitting the rubber inserts into the underside of the new bars to stop wind noise was not as easy as it is with Thule bars and I haven't yet taken the car out to see if the new bars are quiet - fingers crossed ;) .
I'm happy now as it means I don't have to take the roof bars off when they're not in use, unless they are noisy :o .
Markoap

Post by Markoap »

old man wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:18 pm Having now gotten my car, I can confirm that the sunroof will foul roof bar feet. I haven't attached the roof bars yet, so I don't know if the sunroof would hit them, but that's superfluous because it would foul the feet first.

Thanks for that comment, I have exactly the same problem, could you tell me exactly what you bought to solve the problem or even a link to the bars and feet. Kind regards

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post