Phev or Hev for towing?

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
xtrailman

Post by xtrailman »

I'm wanting to tow 1600kg but can't decide on which to buy.
Phev or Hev.

Thoughts please.

DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

for that weight i would imagine a Diesel would be more suitable.

The electric only of the PHEV is only low power and torque, designed for mild acceleration and stop-start driving. With 1600kg on the back it would probably rely on the petrol motor for the majority of driving,
My first and certainly last Hyundai: 2022 Tucson Phev Ultimate
xtrailman

Post by xtrailman »

Yes I agree for towing it probably won't be as capable as my Tiguan 190ps diesel I have at the moment rated to tow 2300kg, however 350nm at 1500 rpm with 230ps combined should cope.
On ICE alone it will still be 180ps so adequate along with 264 nm.

considering I only tour the UK and rarely do mountain climbs I'm confident it will be ok.
Most of my driving is only short trips so the HEV makes more sense than a diesel which I only have for towing, my annual mileage is around 6K miles.
Blastey

Post by Blastey »

I've ordered the PHEV it's only rated to tow 1350kg sadly whereas the HEV is rated for 1650kg

I would have thought it would have been same especially as PHEV weighs more and has AWD

Hope this helps
xtrailman

Post by xtrailman »

Its now been increased to 1650kg for the Phev , look at the website.
Phev is heavier by around 100kg due to the larger battery.

Probem for me is there is no spare for a spare with a Phev in the boot, but I think there is for the Hev as the battery is under the rear seat.
Spare wheels are fitted in some markets. But thats around another 27kg.
Blastey

Post by Blastey »

Ah right that's good news improves options for me when we look into a caravan down the line.
I can't see it on the site but that maybe as I've viewing from a mobile phone I will try a desktop browser later
Blastey

Post by Blastey »

xtrailman wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:51 pm Its now been increased to 1650kg for the Phev , look at the website.
Phev is heavier by around 100kg due to the larger battery.

Probem for me is there is no spare for a spare with a Phev in the boot, but I think there is for the Hev as the battery is under the rear seat.
Spare wheels are fitted in some markets. But thats around another 27kg.
Can you advise were you are seeing this please?
Only thing I could find was rhe following link under specification

https://hyundai-website-assets.s3.amazo ... ec_NX4.pdf

But doesn't show any info for the PHEV at all?

Thanks in advance
xtrailman

Post by xtrailman »

Its now showing 1350/1650kg, so I would ring the dealer and ask whats happening.

https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/tucson
1/ Bottom of page to specifications
2/ Technical
3/ Weights and capacities.
NoTwOld

Post by NoTwOld »

Has anyone fitted a tower themselves and also fitted the dedicated wiring harness ?
I have looked on YouTube and fitting the bar seems straight forward as all the holes are pre drilled ready to bolt on like a lot of cars these days, it also shows that underneath the rear at the back there is a dedicated plug so you can basically plug in the harness and away, Has anyone found or used this Plug ?

I have the Hybrid it shows towing capacity as 1350/1650kg, when looking at caravans they show towing as unladen/laden is that what these two figures represent ?
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

Hi I have seen that video and it’s for the USA and it shows that the bumper stays in place, with witter and all of the Uk tow bars the rear bumper has to come off.
The Uk says 1350 for the phew and 1650 for the hybrid in the USA it’s 2000.
So it’s all confusing, I have ordered a towbar at my dealer to be fitted before I pick it up.
My car will be the 3rd towbar they have had fitted for customers
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post