Using a pod point public charger-stupid question

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Hi folks. I've only used my home charger so far to charge my plug in but it seems some of the public chargers are "free"to use. Does that mean the electricity you use is free or they just don't charge you a fee to use the charging point? Also does using the charge point involve the use of a smart phone, which I don't have-believe it or not I hardly use a mobile phone so I've got a basic nokia model which was handed down from Noah.

DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

pricing structure can be complcated.
Some providers charge a monthly subscription, some pay as you go, some a combination of both.

Generally 'free to use' means free, but you may need to sign up with that provider.
Other (bp pulse) are free, as long as you pay BP the monthly £7.99.

The number of providers is already getting out of hand with at least 10 different providers alone in my town, each requiring a separate account, app, subscription etc.
I love my car, it's just a shame it was made by Hyundai
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Thanks for that DrE. Why does life have to be so complicated?
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

Sadly that's the way it goes, realistically there are only a couple of big players in the UK, so you could probably cover 90% of your charging with those.
If you don't have a smartphone, you could just use a contactless bank card, I believe most providers accept them as a means of payment, without the need for downloading apps & signing away your details for their marketing department.

Sadly Tesco Pod Point is one of those you need an app for!

In most cases I find with a PHEV that public charging doesn't make sense anyway, anything more than 30p /KWh and it's cheaper to run petrol
I love my car, it's just a shame it was made by Hyundai

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post