Plug-in mpg

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Gave my car its first long runs over the week-end-around 350 mile round trip to Essex and back from the Midlands. Outward bound the battery range was down to "0" after about 35 miles so after that we were on petrol for the rest of the journey. We kept the speed down to mid 60s on the motorway sections and after filling up again at our destination I reckon we got about 48/49 mpg on "petrol" (ie excluding the first 35 miles) but it's impossible to be absolutely accurate because even with battery range never budging from zero the motors would kick in briefly from time to time, and I reckon the battery is not fully exhausted when the range is down to zero. On the return journey we stopped off at a service area on the M6 so the final part of the journey was almost entirely motorway/non-stop urban driving and the computer showed 50.1 mpg. Again the battery would have made some contribution but I've no way (unless someone can enlighten me!) of assessing that.

I think the 48/49 figure is reasonably accurate as it was from top up to top up and even if the battery did make some contribution presumably that would be normal and so it would be fair to take the 48/49 figure as a good indicator of what to expect in future (if I stick to mid 60s on the motorway!) As for the 50 mpg figure that was just the computer speaking so is likely to be a tad optimistic. Nonetheless if it's 45 + I'll be quite happy with those figures.

Any observations from anyone? Has anyone else worked their real petrol mpg out-not the daft figures the computer gives you when you haven't actually used any petrol, or a minute amount?

Proterra

Post by Proterra »

We had a 120 mile trip and got around 50mpg . I put the car in hybrid mode and even though it ran on electric some of the time there was 30 mile range left according to the dash.
90 miles were on motorway /dual carriageway
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

I think I put it in "automatic" for the whole return journey as I'm not really sure what hybrid mode does. Usually the car is just used on short journeys of a few miles around home and I've been leaving it in electric mode and charging it up every cou[le of days. I've noticed over the last few days that the engine has been cutting in more frequently and I'm wondering if that's because the weather has become cooler and heat from the engine's cooling system is required for the heating/air con system. Does anyone know if that is the case?
Proterra

Post by Proterra »

I’ve found the same, Takes about 3 mile before it switches back to Ev

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post