MPG

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
NoTwOld

Post by NoTwOld »

I read a lot of motoring articles and the most recent one relates to E10 unleaded petrol, the person who wrote the article had been keeping an eye on there fuel consumption ever since E10 became the main fuel and they had note that there MPG had reduced by about 3 to 4% so if you put that and cold weather in to the equation it seems petrol hybrid mileage can only go one way.

xtrailman

Post by xtrailman »

I test drove a premium hybrid and the average read out showed 39mph, less 2 is still good IMO considering how I was driving it.
That was a 12 trip but not in heavy traffic and not over 70mph.

I came away thinking mid 40's would be achievable, looking at the history graph showed 60mpg had be achieved.
Ibstockblue

Post by Ibstockblue »

We have a Tucson Ultimate Plug in, we’ve had it for about 3 weeks. We swapped my wife’s Mini Plug in for it as she fell in love with the Tucson and it had a higher range that suited my wife’s commuting which is 12 miles a day.
I have a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV,
We both run them as EV’s for the majority of the time and use very little fuel.
The Tucson is a lovely car, my wife is pleased with it, but I have a big issue with it, that is you can’t preheat/cool the cabin. On both the Outlander and the Mini you could set the cabin to reheat or pre cool while it was plugged in, this used electric from the 240v and did not take any range. Both cars you can heat in EV mode so the engine has no need to run. This makes a big difference to the way we have run the PHEVS to how we now run the Tucson. It’s a Plug in, I don’t want to run the engine on small trips. My wife’s 6 mile commute means the car will be running the engine for most of the time.
My Outlander is old technology compared to the Tucson, the Kuga allows you to preheat as does the RAV4. I mistakenly thought the Tucson would do the same.
The way round it is to turn the heater off and switch on the heated steering wheel and seats, but to do this on. £43k high end technology car. Be serious Hyundai, you have produced a beautiful car, but have really short changed the owners on this issue
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

I am disappointed by this news. I was unaware
of this when I ordered a plug in hybrid, like many expecting to drive on EV mode to and from work. If ICE is running when AC is on defeats the purpose of buying car. Is it something that could be a software fix?
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

This came as an unpleasant surprise to me as well. We got the car in September and the weather was mild for quite a while so we didn't need the heater. Car ran in EV mode most of the time but once the temp dropped in November and I'm using the heater, EV mode doesn't kick in till I've done about 4 miles depending on the ambient temp of course. This seems logical but seems at odds with P56 of the manual which says if the coolant temp gets higher than -14cthe vehicle returns to EV mode. Can anyone explain?
Ibstockblue

Post by Ibstockblue »

I was hoping it could be solved by software but it depends on the hardware, if there is no way of heating by electric and it relies on the coolant being heated by running the ice then no.
Some people say the preheating is not available in the U.K. because it’s against the law in the U.K. it can only possibly be against the law if you run the engine unattended, if that is the case with the Tucson then that points to the being no facility to heat with electric alone.
I have emailed Hyundai U.K. but they have not replied so again dosnt give me much confidence in there being a “simple” solution.
It’s my wife’s car and she is so pleased with it that I don’t want to ruin her ownership of it. But I think this is a massive issue for me, this stops the car being run as a true PHEV in my opinion. What this does to the official C02 emissions data I don’t know, will be interesting. My Outlander goes back in March and being replaced with a Skoda Enyaq which is full EV. We chose the Tucson because the range meant we could run it as a full EV the majority of the time
NLineS

Post by NLineS »

Ibstockblue wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:43 pm I was hoping it could be solved by software but it depends on the hardware, if there is no way of heating by electric and it relies on the coolant being heated by running the ice then no.
Some people say the preheating is not available in the U.K. because it’s against the law in the U.K. it can only possibly be against the law if you run the engine unattended, if that is the case with the Tucson then that points to the being no facility to heat with electric alone.
I have emailed Hyundai U.K. but they have not replied so again dosnt give me much confidence in there being a “simple” solution.
It’s my wife’s car and she is so pleased with it that I don’t want to ruin her ownership of it. But I think this is a massive issue for me, this stops the car being run as a true PHEV in my opinion. What this does to the official C02 emissions data I don’t know, will be interesting. My Outlander goes back in March and being replaced with a Skoda Enyaq which is full EV. We chose the Tucson because the range meant we could run it as a full EV the majority of the time
Will the BlueLink app work to pre-heat? https://www.hyundai.com/eu/driving-hyun ... k-app.html
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

I usually keep the car in automatic mode (as opposed to EV or hybrid) so on a cold morning it takes time for the engine to warm up as it's only running at a constant 1100ish rpm, the battery providing the main power. This morning-5c temp-EV didn't kick in at all on a journey of almost 5 miles. It did change to EV after a couple of miles on the return journey when the coolant temp reached about 55-60c. Then once the engine had stopped, the temp fell back down again quickly to the 50 mark and if I hadn't reached home I suspect the engine would have cut back in again. I assume from this that when the weather is cold the car will be alternating between EV and petrol with the result that the engine is never going to reach what I would consider normal for a petrol engine. When it is running it's always going to be running quite cool-not a good thing surely?
xtrailman

Post by xtrailman »

Thanks for the above posts.
I have decided that I won't be buying the plugin with this heating draw back, which just leaves the sportage hybrid 4wd model, shame but its not a Phev IMO if it requires the ICE motor during cold weather to heat the car.
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

It's difficult to assess how much difference the reliance on the engine for heat makes to the economics of running the vehicle and although it must make some difference i don't know whether it would have put me off buying the vehicle if I'd known prior to buying. We like the interior and exterior styling and the car is comfortable and roomy. For me I think this problem is something I can live with without it spoiling my overall enjoyment of the car.