MPG

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
MarkyC0

Post by MarkyC0 »

Hi guys, we have a hybrid ultimate, had it about 6 months now. It is used just round town, had a couple of long trips but nothing too far, it has about 1300 miles on the clock. It was doing about 37,39 MPG again all round town.

Now the weather has turned cold, we are getting 23 to 25 MPG which is terrible, I am guessing it is because the heaters are on, electric seats, window demister etc. but even with all this, I would expect more then 25 mpg with the engine on, or are the engines not that economical??

Be grateful for any feedback

Cheers

mark

KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

The drop in temperature has had an effect on the fuel consumption of our plug-in as well. I did a journey of 4+miles today with outside temp about 1c and the car never got into "EV"-it was on petrol the whole time. However the electric range went down as well which I don't understand. I called in at the dealers to ask what was going on under the bonnet, but am waiting for an answer. The only accessoty on was the heating/air con, which I can't imagine would use much elec.
I've been told the electric drive doesn't cut in to assist the petrol engine unless there's high demand on the engine-high speed or acceleration-so why would the electric range go down, pretty much by the same amount as the length of the journey. However the mpg displayed at the end of the journey was in the 90s so if the electric side of things wasn't having any input, how could the perol engine get to that sort of figure. Weird. Any other plug-in owners have any thoughts?
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Are there any other plug-in owners out there?
Rouky

Post by Rouky »

MarkyC0 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:11 pm Hi guys, we have a hybrid ultimate, had it about 6 months now. It is used just round town, had a couple of long trips but nothing too far, it has about 1300 miles on the clock. It was doing about 37,39 MPG again all round town.

Now the weather has turned cold, we are getting 23 to 25 MPG which is terrible, I am guessing it is because the heaters are on, electric seats, window demister etc. but even with all this, I would expect more then 25 mpg with the engine on, or are the engines not that economical??

Cheers

mark
I have just sold my Corolla to move to a Tucson, I think generally HEV's have poor mpg in cold weather, The Corolla did 20mpg on short journeys in cold weather so I'm not expecting great things from the Tucson, your thinking is probably right that the poor economy is due heaters being on.
misterbuzby

Post by misterbuzby »

MarkyC0 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:11 pm Hi guys, we have a hybrid ultimate, had it about 6 months now. It is used just round town, had a couple of long trips but nothing too far, it has about 1300 miles on the clock. It was doing about 37,39 MPG again all round town.

Cheers

mark
I have 2021 hybrid (not plug in), 230 bhp ultimate. i came from a diesel kia ceed which would return 65mpg on a run.
my Tucson hybrid is about 500 miles from new and has only been doing a smidge over 40mpg (eg 40.3) ... which I had thought was a little disappointing :-(

i only got it in November so haven't had it in any warm weather at all. wipers, lights, seats, wheel, aircon, climate, everything.
im now thinking that 40mpg is probably pretty good :-)
it does seem to spend quite a bit of its time in EV mode.

23-25 does sound disappointing :-( :-(
NoTwOld

Post by NoTwOld »

Mine is 2wd hybrid are any of those returning low mpg 4x4 vehicles ?
UltimatePHEVuser

Post by UltimatePHEVuser »

Hi

Do not know if this helps anyone our any one can answer what's happening here to the car.

Just taken ownership of a Ultimate PHEV (no tech pack) a little over 3 weeks ago. done 1200 miles and most of them have been travelling on the A1 down to Elstree one way trip 156 miles. I travel around 60 to 70 MPH and in Auto mode and finding its doing from 34MPG to 38MPG battery depletes on first 30 miles or so. once the battery hits quarter then it it goes in to HEV mode understandable as it wants to charge its self for the rest of the journey (this mode by default will use more fuel as it has to drive the wheels at the same time as charging).
cluster is set to reset after each stop so get a real time MPG for the journey.

The fuel tank range said 420 miles when I took ownership of the car at 11miles on clock. i now fill up from fuel light on. 42L in tank and range says 330 miles + what ever the battery is charged at. I do know one full round trip to Elstree and back with a full charge on way down and one full charge on way back up and its a full tank of fuel (fuel tank range say 30 miles left). is this correct or is there something wrong with the car.

One other thing I noticed in EV driving to office 4 miles away the engine always turns on and idles just under 1100rpm when any form of heating is turned on no matter how low it turned down. ok in the summer but not really in the winter :-)

All new tech this to me after coming from diesel and getting 600 mile to a tank give or take (grand scenic 2011 1.6)

Thoughts welcome
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

I've calculated my mpg figure for November and it works out at 39.5mpg and this is exclusively on short journeys of <5 miles, and at a time of dropping temperatures. I expect the figure to worsen in the coming months until the spring/summer when I would expect to be using the engine less. I calculated the figure by using my electricity costs, as provided by the Pod Point app, to "buy" petrol at the price I paid at the start of the month, adding that amount to what I actually topped up with at the end of Nov, giving total petrol cost. During the winter the savings from hybrid feature are going to be quite small I think compared to our previous car a Merc B180 petrol, but that was a smaller car so not exactly a valid comparison. However compared to the 23-25 reported on here for the Tuscon, perhaps it's quite good. I'm still making enquiries as to whether the Kwh figures supplied via Pod Point are accurate but responses from Hyundai, a dealer and Pod point vary from none to no use! I'll keep trying.
billybob

Post by billybob »

Currently getting between 125 ~ 140 MPG (trip computer) driving the 22 miles to work, and between 75 and 99 MPG for the 22 miles back from work.

125 MPG was @ 2 degrees Celsius, 140 @ 8 Celsius. I think in summer it'll be a lot higher.

The above doesn't include leccy costs (which would add about £2 a day)
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Billybob, hi. Have you worked out your mpg based on actual petrol used from top-up to top-up, rather than the computer figures which I suspect will turn out to be somewhat optimistic even without taking your electricity useage into account.