Satnav Update for SE Nav Tucson

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
bellandbottle

Post by bellandbottle »

Hello folks, I would appreciate some help with a problem I have with the latest update, which is Nov 2023.

I downloaded the update (2 hours roughly) to the SD card, but the system refused to fully recognise the card.

I did this back in 2022 and it worked fine.

I tried various iterations of the process to make sure I was doing things correctly, but no go.

Rather than carry on like this, I decided to buy an update SD card from a satnav company which supplies cards for all different types of vehicle.

I had exactly the same rejection on that card as I did on my own. I am talking with the company which has a 30 day guarantee.

I would appreciate someone with an up to date car telling me the type number to their SD card - the one I bought is TL 96554-07800 which is the same layout, but different number as the one I have in the car.

Any help would be appreciated.

Indalo

Post by Indalo »

bellandbottle wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:01 pm I downloaded the update (2 hours roughly) to the SD card, but the system refused to fully recognise the card.
I did this back in 2022 and it worked fine.
Welcome to the forum, ‘bellandbottle’.

Perhaps I’m being a bit thick here but I can’t quite grasp what you are trying to achieve, If I have understood correctly, you attempted to perform the late 2023 update via SD card and the card wasn’t recognised by the system in the car. You mention that you successfully used that card in 2022 when you performed a previous update. You have since attempted again to update the system using a new card, but with no luck.

Now, I’m sure others will correct me if I have this wrong but as far as I can see, you haven’t detailed which year and model of Tucson you refer to. Therefore, I have to ask you, which year is your car? The current range of Tucson models uses a USB drive to download the update, rather than an SD card. That covers those models from late 2021 (I think) to date. I’m guessing that yours is an earlier model and, guessing again if I’m right about that, updates were performed back then via an SD card. I haven’t looked at the site, other than to check a moment ago that it still exists, but if you go to this web page: https://update.hyundai.com/EU/E1/Main , you should be able to identify your model year and the method of achieving the update.

Guessing further, is your model able to utilise the late 2023 update or is that particular update only relevant to the then newer generation? I don’t know so I shall have a look when I have had my dinner. The reason I mention that is that I think it’s unlikely that two SD cards would fail to be recognised by the car’s system, especially if you had used the same card previously. The update page from Hyundai pretty well walks DIY updaters through the process and I had no difficulty with the download to a USB drive after becoming accustomed to the SD card method over nearly 7 years with my previous KIA. Prior to that, I had an i40 Tourer and updated that a couple of times via USB.
Last edited by Indalo on Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
bellandbottle

Post by bellandbottle »

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply - I will try to answer your points.

We have a 2018 (April) Tucson 1.6 GDi, and it has an SD card operated system.

Forgetting what I did before, the SD card in the system at the moment is TL 96554-D7450 - this works fine, but the maps are out of date.

I did the full 9 yards with the Hyundai website and created my own SD card for the update - that is seen by the system when I first insert it, but then declines to do the update.

Just in case I screwed up the card creation, I decided to buy the proprietary one which is TL 96554-D7800 (mistake on the initial post) and that behaves the same way.

It is not helping that our dealership here is very reluctant to address the issue, and Hyundai customer services just refer me to the dealer.

I am trying to tease out someone who is using the TL 96554-D7800 successfully so that I can begin to reach a conclusion as to the source of the problem.

I did do a soft reset yesterday, but am reluctant to do a hard reset at this stage, as it clears out the system completely.
bellandbottle

Post by bellandbottle »

Just building a bit on what you and I have said, if the newer cars are USB, then there may not be many people using the new card.
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

bellandbottle wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:13 pm I did do a soft reset yesterday, but am reluctant to do a hard reset at this stage, as it clears out the system completely.
Ok, just knowing the model year helps other forum members who may have experienced the problem previously. With luck, someone may pop up with some methodology that remedies your situation.

In the meantime, I’m not sure what you have to lose by performing a hard reset on the infotainment unit but I have never had anything on mine that I’d worry about losing. If you connect your phone via ACP or AA, then most of the stuff you need in the car is stored on your phone and will remain there, whatever you do to the infotainment unit. There are many electronic glitches that can occur in our cars though usually without any permanent deleterious effect.

Before attempting a hard system reset, I’d be inclined to turn off the fuse switch for 20-30 minutes. (Just ensure you don’t lock yourself out of the car.) It’s in the internal fuse panel. That simple action has been known to correct several electronic glitches in KIA/Hyundai cars in much the same way as the ‘cure-all’ from ’SKY’s customer service agents advised in the 1980s, which was to remove the SKY box electrical plug from the wall socket for 10 minutes. They didn’t even begin to advise other steps until that had been done. It worked in the majority of cases. You will lose your trip meter and fuel usage readings though you can note them if you’re an inveterate mpg student.

I know of other KIA & Hyundai owners who have given up using the integrated Nav program for a variety of reasons and moved over to Waze, Google or Apple Maps, all of which are available on most mobile phones. The ability to view the directions in the instrument binnacle straight in front of the driver is lost though. They will still be present in the main infotainment screen but I’m sure you know all that.

Perhaps the problem solver you need will show up soon although this particular forum isn’t the most dynamic on the web!🙄
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
bellandbottle

Post by bellandbottle »

Tomorrow I will chase up the company which sold me the update card, because they must be aware if there is a general problem - the same card is available on ebay.

I have just dusted off a Garmin satnav and updated it, so I have a plan B really.

In some ways this is quite an interesting problem, and it is clear from various web sources that there are a lot of issues with built-in satnavs - not just Hyundai.
Philr

Post by Philr »

Probably a dumb question but is there a max/min size SD card requirement?
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
bellandbottle

Post by bellandbottle »

The proprietary card is 32gb and that is the size recommended for the DIY downloading.

I downloaded to the hard disk this time, and then moved it to the SD card - this all happens with the Windows app on the PC.
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

bellandbottle wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:29 am The proprietary card is 32gb and that is the size recommended for the DIY downloading.

I downloaded to the hard disk this time, and then moved it to the SD card - this all happens with the Windows app on the PC.
When you copy the files manually you have to ensure that you copy the contents of the download directory to the sdcard. So there should be multiple directories/files on the root of the sdcard. Apologies if you already know this.

I've done updates in the past and two mistakes I made:
1. Downloaded the wrong model years files!
2. Put the sd card in the slot and expected it to auto update. It didn't and I had to manually trigger it.
bellandbottle

Post by bellandbottle »

I double checked all the points, but no go.

Anyway, I bought the proprietary SD card just in case.

I've just had a trial run using Android Auto and Google Maps, and I reckon it is as good as, if not better than, the Hyundai maps. That gives me two alternatives, with the Garmin, so I have asked for a refund from the company supplying the map card.

I am not one for giving up, but I think I'll call it a day.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post