How scratched is your windscreen?

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

I've had my Tucson a couple of years now and really like it. However, I've recently noticed there are quite a few scratches on the windscreen of varying sizes. They are only visible in certain lights, while in direct sunlight for example, and not very visible from the outside unless you really look, but when you do notice them they are hard to miss.

A few of them just about catch a fingernail when you run it over them. I've tried polishing them out but it hasn't really made a difference. It's not the end of the world, it isn't an impediment to visibility particularly, so it's more just a mild irritant.

But I wondered, is the Tucson windscreen particularly easy to scratch? The scratches don't run in a particular direction consistent to being caused by the wipers, for example. I suppose they could have been caused while scraping the windscreen to remove ice, but I've only really done that once or maybe twice this year, and I would have noticed them before if they had been present much longer than that. Besides, I clear the windscreen using the same method I've used for the last 21 years of driving and my 15 year old Astra, which I've de-iced much more frequently, doesn't have anywhere near the same number.

Does anyone find the glass particularly scratch prone, or have I just been negligent/unlucky? I've just never seemed to have accumulated so many scratches on a car windscreen before.

Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

maurice28 wrote: ↑Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:50 pm Does anyone find the glass particularly scratch prone, or have I just been negligent/unlucky? I've just never seemed to have accumulated so many scratches on a car windscreen before.
Couple of years in and no scratches thus far just a small mark were a stone impacted the screen.

I use de-icer and don't use a car ice scraper but a scraper shouldn't scratch to the point where the scratches couldn't be polished out.

Have you taken the car through a carwash? If the brushes have some sort of contaminant it could scratch the screen but I would expect scratches on the bodywork also. Same could be said of a contaminated cleaning sponge.
r0n

Post by r0n »

Are any of the scratches vertical ?

If so are any of the scratches parallel to eachother ?

Do you have any damage ( small cuts ) to windscreen rubber ?

Do you have any unexplained damage to paintwork around the wings or doors ?
2023 Tucson - Premium - Petrol - Manual
Southern Lad

Post by Southern Lad »

maurice28 wrote: ↑Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:50 pm I've had my Tucson a couple of years now and really like it. However, I've recently noticed there are quite a few scratches on the windscreen of varying sizes. They are only visible in certain lights, while in direct sunlight for example, and not very visible from the outside unless you really look, but when you do notice them they are hard to miss.

A few of them just about catch a fingernail when you run it over them. I've tried polishing them out but it hasn't really made a difference. It's not the end of the world, it isn't an impediment to visibility particularly, so it's more just a mild irritant.

But I wondered, is the Tucson windscreen particularly easy to scratch? The scratches don't run in a particular direction consistent to being caused by the wipers, for example. I suppose they could have been caused while scraping the windscreen to remove ice, but I've only really done that once or maybe twice this year, and I would have noticed them before if they had been present much longer than that. Besides, I clear the windscreen using the same method I've used for the last 21 years of driving and my 15 year old Astra, which I've de-iced much more frequently, doesn't have anywhere near the same number.

Does anyone find the glass particularly scratch prone, or have I just been negligent/unlucky? I've just never seemed to have accumulated so many scratches on a car windscreen before.
Interesting you mention this. I'd say mine is similar. 16 months old and front windscreen is showing signs of lots of superficial small scratches/chips. I have had one stone chip repair, but aside from that I can't recall any other significant stone hits etc but looking closely at the screen you would think differently. Mentioned this to a friend who has a 22 plate Cupra Ateca and looking closely at his it's pretty much the same with plenty of superficial marks despite no knowing impacts. Perhaps on real close inspection more people could possibly see the same. I only noticed mine really whilst trying to give it a real good clean and glass polish. I was rubbing and rubbing to remove what I thought were dirty marks but were actually marks in the screen itself so we're not removing. I don't notice mine in normal everyday use, but only when I give it a really good clean.
2022 1.6 H T-GDi 230ps Hybrid N Line S in Shadow Grey
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Ice scrapers scratch car glass, my wife's car (Honda) has scratches on the screen from where she has scraped away at it . I don't let scrapers near my windscreen. It's not a Hyundai thing, I've encountered it on several cars.
Tucson SE Connect 1.6 TGDI Manual, Shimmering Silver
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

Thanks all, interesting to hear the experience of others. I haven't taken it through a car wash as I know they can cause some damage if you're unlucky. I can only think the scratches have appeared from an ice scraper, although can literally only think of one time I've used one in the last few months - I must have been too rough, or the scraper too sharp!

Anyway, the car is a lease so in a year's time will be gone, but it's certainly something I'll be more mindful of in the meantime (and luckily, light windscreen scratches are fine with the lease company on hand back!)
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

Spray thrown up by following vehicles in front too closely, or by HGVs coming in the opposite direction will contain grit and dust. How many times have you been sprayed with mucky water by an HGV going in the opposite direction and what's the first thing you do ? Activate your wipers and washers. It's a normal reaction, but the first couple of passes of the wipers will be rubbing dirt into the windscreen.
maurice28

Post by maurice28 »

pharaoh wrote: ↑Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:25 pm Spray thrown up by following vehicles in front too closely, or by HGVs coming in the opposite direction will contain grit and dust. How many times have you been sprayed with mucky water by an HGV going in the opposite direction and what's the first thing you do ? Activate your wipers and washers. It's a normal reaction, but the first couple of passes of the wipers will be rubbing dirt into the windscreen.
Yes, definitely, I know there's so much salt and other rubbish on the roads that will go all over the windscreen. Thing is, there's several scratches in a different direction to the wipers so while some I'm sure are down to that, it looks like it's a combination of other things too.
David3

Post by David3 »

IMG_20240212_162850_313.jpg

Literally just finished washing the car and found this, I can't tell if it's a crack or deep scratch but I never wash the car using hot water or dirty cleaning cloths, thought I might have caught the black surround on the inside when I was cleaning the windscreen but it's lower than the dashboard and definitely has a ridge on the outside, anyone else had a similar thing happen?
Tucson ultimate plug-in with tech pack in Dark Knight grey pearl, not our first colour choice but it was available straight away instead of waiting till next yearπŸ™ˆπŸ˜‚
Al94

Post by Al94 »

2.5 years and no scratches, just one very small stone chip
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Ultimate 5dr 2WD Auto

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post