GPF Filter linked to poor fuel consumption?

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
XADE

Post by XADE »

This ^ although I must admit I didn't know the ins and outs, just what I read.

As far as I know there's been no instances of the GPF issue (warning light at least) triggering any sort of limp mode either. Unless there's actually an issue. Which suggests as stated it's an earlier trigger than what it needed to be.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black

PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Robbit wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:31 pm It's smoke and mirrors, the physical mechanics are still the same, the filter is still sooting up as before.
I keep visualising the exhaust baffles in my 2 stroke moped, all those many decades ago. They were treated to a good wire-brushing, every Sunday morning ;)
If only things were that simple these days :)
Robbit wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:31 pm However, I ‘think’ Hyundai advance the timing for earlier ignition to achieve a leaner mixture. The downside of this is pre-combustion knocking (good old pinking) which can damage the engine and cause an increase in MPG. I have a feeling this change in mixture is very short lived before the car requires regeneration via CAN Bus.
I read that the 'regeneration' occurs on deceleration (i.e 'the overrun'), when there's no fuel at all being injected into the engine - ergo no spark either!

(There's a web page here, that talks about "introducing additional fuel into the exhaust system to raise the temperature" i.e. running rich, not lean. I don't think the Tucson has an after-burner :) ).

If it really does gets the GPF hot enough to 'burn off soot', then how much hotter must things be upstream (i.e. the valves, piston crown etc)?.

Do we know what the dealer Reset Procedure entails? Some sort of static, automated drive-cyle maybe?)
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Robbit

Post by Robbit »

PhilHornby wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:46 am
I read that the 'regeneration' occurs on deceleration (i.e 'the overrun'), when there's no fuel at all being injected into the engine - ergo no spark either!

If it really does gets the GPF hot enough to 'burn off soot', then how much hotter must things be upstream (i.e. the valves, piston crown etc)?.

Do we know what the dealer Reset Procedure entails? Some sort of static, automated drive-cyle maybe?)
Exactly, hence why I think I cleared my GPF coming down Porlock Hill several times whilst I was away :lol:

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post