12v battery failure

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Mr.C

Post by Mr.C »

So I recently replaced the 12v battery in my mid hybrid 2019 Tucson.
Do I need to get it coded?

alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Coded to what?
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
daibill

Post by daibill »

I honestly cannot see a 12v battery being plugged into an ECU to require a code...
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

Mr.C wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:18 am replaced the 12v battery in my mid hybrid 2019 Tucson.
Do I need to get it coded?
Unless I’m very much mistaken, possible as I’m long retired, having finally given it all up in 2003, the short answer is ’No’.

I’m a little intrigued by the question though. Why would a power source require to be coded? It’s true that modern electronics have created a need for some electro-mechanical parts and accessories to be matched and made electronically compatible with various elements of vehicle electronics. A battery, however.........?
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

It's not necessarily the battery that needs coding but the Battery Management System may need to be 'told', via coding, of the replacement. The OPs car is a mild hybrid so multiple batteries with associated hardware/software.

Having said that, I would contact Hyundai to confirm if the car needs any coding. I assume the car is still under the 5 year warranty so I would want to ensure that I hadn't done anything that may jeopardise it.
Philr

Post by Philr »

I think it does need to be coded. The battery management system needs to be told so that it modifies the charging rate. It will have been charging your old battery at a given rate and unless it is told about a new battery it may over charge the new one.
This is a generalisation of battery management systems and may be different for different makes/models/age of vehicle but I would certainly be checking it out.
Why did you change it?
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

Mr.C wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:18 am I recently replaced the 12v battery in my mid hybrid 2019 Tucson.
As this is a fait accompli, can you confirm whether all electrical systems are working correctly or have you encountered any ‘glitches’ that may have resulted from the lack of any coding?
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post