Tuscon Premium '22 Plate Self Charing Hybrid Query

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
wbt

Post by wbt »

Hi everyone,

Recently upgraded to the above and had a few questions I hope someone can answer...

Is there a way of finding out how much charge the electric battery has?

I don't seem to feel any benefit from having a hybrid engine either, is Eco mode the best driving option?

Couldn't find these answers anywhere else!

Thanks guys!

Philr

Post by Philr »

There's a battery status bar on the drivers dash in the right had dial.
Not sure what sort of benefit you are looking for but even in Eco mode there's fairly rapid acceleration and more so in sport mode.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

wbt wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:40 pm Hi everyone,

Recently upgraded to the above and had a few questions I hope someone can answer...

Is there a way of finding out how much charge the electric battery has?

I don't seem to feel any benefit from having a hybrid engine either, is Eco mode the best driving option?

Couldn't find these answers anywhere else!

Thanks guys!
I primarily run in Eco mode. Over 15000 miles car is showing average of 45mpg that's mixed motoring but I also don't have a lead foot. Anyone with a petrol only and/or MHEV may be able to contribute their averages for a very rough comparison. However, winter time/colder temps you will notice the cars use of battery/engine and mpg is somewhat different from the warmer months/temps.

20230202_164750.jpg

wbt

Post by wbt »

Thanks for the reply!

When I said benefit I meant in fuel consumption, on average a 10 mile journey is using up 10/11 miles of fuel which seems wrong to me. I'm coming from a Kia Niro Hybrid which was brilliant!

Here's a pic of my dash, this is the only thing I can find that mentions the Hybrid engine!

IMG_E5914.JPG

jarvis

Post by jarvis »

I think you must have the mild hybrid, judging by the fact you don't have the battery meter and you have the current gear shown on the dash next to "D" - don't get that shown on the full hybrid model.

In the mild hybrid the battery is mostly used to enable the engine to shut down for longer when you stop at junctions, or even as you're slowing down (coasting/sailing). It can also give a slight assistance to the engine when accelerating.

There was one poster on here who said they saw better MPG driving their MHEV Tucson "gently" in sport mode!
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

wbt wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:09 am Thanks for the reply!

When I said benefit I meant in fuel consumption, on average a 10 mile journey is using up 10/11 miles of fuel which seems wrong to me. I'm coming from a Kia Niro Hybrid which was brilliant!

Here's a pic of my dash, this is the only thing I can find that mentions the Hybrid engine!
As Jarvis has said, it looks like you may have the MHEV version or often refered to as 'mild hybrid' of the Tucson. The HEV/PHEV versions have the self charging capability and electric motors (like your Kia Niro I suspect) that drive the cars wheels at various intervals. The MHEV does not have this capability. The MHEV has an assister battery in the spare wheel well but no electric powertrain motors. I seem to recall there are 2WD/4WD, manual/auto derivatives of the MHEV and 'real world' economy figures will be less than the HEV.
Last edited by Deleted User 1711 on Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
daibill

Post by daibill »

34.1mpg average on Petrol only. Looks like you have GPF warning light on there also..
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

This was the topic where the drive mode of the MHEV was discussed. It was actually Normal mode that returned the better MPG

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post