Can I drive Tucson ultimate with boot open

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Markoap

Post by Markoap »

Hi everyone
Quick question, does anyone know a way round or fix for a little issue I have. I need to move something using the back of my car Tucson ultimate and it’s just a few centimetres longer than what I have with the seats down but I can’t close the boot so the car won’t move. Is there a remedy or a suggestion that would help.
Or is it impossible?

Philr

Post by Philr »

Is it small enough to put thru the open front passenger window?
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Markoap wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:03 pm I can’t close the boot so the car won’t move. I
I've not looked closely at the lock arrangement (and it's dark, windy & rainy out there at the moment!), but can you manually close the lock (with a screwdriver or similar)? That might convince the car that the tailgate's closed.

I used to do this regularly, (many decades ago) on an MG Maestro. In that case, there was a small metal loop on the body and the lock part was in the tail gate. Manually closing the lock, gave me two loops that I could then tie together. From memory, I think the Tucson is arranged the other way round, with the fixed loop on the tailgate...

UPDATED: Since there is a manual release on the inside of the tail gate, it makes sense that the moving lock part is also part of the tail gate, not the car body.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Berty

Post by Berty »

Yes, you can drive the car with the boot open. I don't know how fast but I have moved the car with the boot open. I have an electric tail gate and a PHEV. I know this as the other day I moved the car accidentally with the boot open and previous to that intentionally around my driveway with the boot open. The rear view camera view didn't turn on though.
Based in Ireland :mrgreen:
2023 Tucson Executive Plus PHEV
dylan2910

Post by dylan2910 »

Yes, the car can be driven with the tailgate open, you just keep getting the annoying bongs to let you know the tailgate is not closed, if in reverse the camera does work but obviously does not see the rear off the car, just the sky. I don't know if the speed is limited though
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

I wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:18 am ... can you manually close the lock (with a screwdriver or similar)? That might convince the car that the tailgate's closed.
I tried it and it all works as hoped. It ought to stop the "bongs"!

It's debatable whether it needs tying-down, since the boot motor won't let it move anyway. In fact, fighting the motor, to lower the tail gate part-way is more of an issue (I wouldn't want to drive the car with it fully open - it would obscure rear vision, high-level brake light and the number plate...).

Release the lock, using the Fob tail gate button.

Boot.jpg

N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Markoap

Post by Markoap »

Thank you every one I appreciate the help 👍

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post