Petrol Question.

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
MikeSwift

Post by MikeSwift »

I haven’t had a petrol car for 15 years and from what I hear things have changed.

I haven't been keeping up with the new type of petrol as it didn't concern me but now with a petrol Tucson do I just fill up with the new fuel, my son tells me if I don't do many miles I shouldn’t fill the tank to the top, is this true?
2023 Tucson Ultimate Automatic Petrol MHEV Serenity White Pearl.

daibill

Post by daibill »

There is more ethanol in the current E10 petrol to "reduce emissions" but can affect mpg. In theory it can evaporate over time but in reality just fill it up and don't worry about it..
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

If it’s the latest model, then E10 fuel will be fine.

I don’t know why your son advised not filling the tank till it’s full as, although petrol does ‘go off’ somewhat over time, I can attest to the fact that as a low mileage user these days, I have never had a problem with ‘old’ fuel. If you are an extremely low-mileage driver and are concerned about petrol ‘going off’, there are some fuel additives that can help avoid that. Hyundai recommend not using additives and list the types that might be harmful but I’m confident that you won’t have a problem with neat E10.

Perhaps the advice was for another reason altogether?
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Indalo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:30 pm Hyundai recommend not using additives and list the types that might be harmful.
Are you sure that's not a reference to oil additives?

If you recall, I found a mention in the US manual, of Hyundai's own Fuel Additives. See viewtopic.php?t=1169&start=15
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
MikeSwift

Post by MikeSwift »

Thanks for all your answers, my youngest is a motor insurance handler so may have ulterior motives :-)
2023 Tucson Ultimate Automatic Petrol MHEV Serenity White Pearl.
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

PhilHornby wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:31 pm Are you sure that's not a reference to oil additives?
Negative, ‘PhilHornby’.

As I had to walk out to my car earlier, I remembered to pick up the Owner’s Manual and bring it indoors.

This is the relevant page, although it’s hardly a consummate answer to the question of E10/E5 and use of fuel additives:

IMG_1803.JPG

For what it’s worth, given the extensive number of complaints I have read in other Hyundai Tucson forums with regard to PPF problems, I shall use E10 and add my favourite brand of petrol additive each time I refuel.

For the last 20 years or so, I always treated my diesel cars to an additive and I had zero occurrences of DPF problems or any events of poor running. Prior to taking ownership of the Tucson, the previous 12 years were with a Hyundai i40 Tourer followed by a KIA Optima Tourer and, as stated, I had no problems with the DPF that seemed to afflict so many KIA owners in particular.

I’m used to the deprecatory comments from all the car forum ‘experts’ about fuel additives being no more than snake oil but I’m happy to rely on my own empirical experience through usage, particularly as my driving profile these days involves many short trips.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
Unimatrix

Post by Unimatrix »

I just use premium unleaded and let the additives in that do their job.
2022 Tucson Ultimate Petrol
Greezy56

Post by Greezy56 »

I used the pricey stuff for a couple of fills. Good for motorway miles and really extended the range on a long trip, but im a round towner mostly and E10 does. Cheapest in Glasgow is £1:41 a ltr for E10
Unimatrix

Post by Unimatrix »

Greezy56 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:43 pm I used the pricey stuff for a couple of fills. Good for motorway miles and really extended the range on a long trip, but im a round towner mostly and E10 does. Cheapest in Glasgow is £1:41 a ltr for E10
Costco in Springburn, £1.42 for premium unleaded. £1.35 for regular.
2022 Tucson Ultimate Petrol
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

Costco, consistently one of the cheapest fuel outlets and frequently the market leader in that regard, are charging 135.9p per litre of E10 today. I’m gutted as I had to pay 136.9 last Friday!🥲

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post