PHEV charging

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
ScottyR81

Post by ScottyR81 »

Ok, this is probably me rather than the car....

Charging at home with a 3 pin charger no problem. Today I'm out an about so planned my appointments around allocating some time to using a proper charger at a services.

First one, pull up, plug in blah blah blah, and would get either a solid red or blinking red light. First time ever using one so assumed charge point knackered so headed to the next services and got exactly the same?

Tried googling but not finding a solution to the problem?

Anyone help on this?

1502061gerald

Post by 1502061gerald »

I was trying to charge the car and got the red light on the car and charge delayed. The cause appeared to be a rear door not completely closed before locking. Hardly noticeable and no notification on the app. After unlocking and then reclosing the door and relocking, it charged fine.
ExTyke

Post by ExTyke »

I haven't succeeded with a public charger. I have a feeling that they tend to be DC supplies and the car cannot link to them. At home I occasionally get a 'charge delayed' message. Looks like there are lots of petty things which upset the car to stop it charging.
Ultimate PHEV in Dark Knight

Ordered 6th Aug 2022
Arrived Tilbury 6th June 23
Collected by me :D 18 June 23
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

It's amazing, that when it wants to, the car can communicate vast amounts of information (thousands of words making up the EULA for Bluelink for example!), yet when it's something important, you get a flashing red LED :roll:
So then it's down to guesswork :!:
ExTyke wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:52 pm I haven't succeeded with a public charger. I have a feeling that they tend to be DC supplies and the car cannot link to them. Looks like there are lots of petty things which upset the car to stop it charging.
I don't have a PHEV, but have had a passing interest in those Charging Points for a quite a while now. Up until recently, I could find nothing about them, then bingo!. This chap has built his own (as you do) and sums up the theory of operation as :-
EV chargers use a simple “pilot” signal to detect when they are plugged into a car and to tell the car how much current it is allowed to draw from the charger. They don’t modify the mains at all, they just switch it on/off to the car via some relays. In addition to this they also incorporate the functionality of an RCD. But to be honest, that’s about it!
So with an AC charger connected, there wouldn't seem to be whole lot to go wrong!

I was under the impression that DC charging uses a different connector and couldn't be connected to the car in the first place...
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

I wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:52 am I was under the impression that DC charging uses a different connector and couldn't be connected to the car in the first place...
I found a description of the "Combined Charging System", that adds DC charging pins to the Type 2 charging connector :-

DC charging.jpg

If this image is correct, the Tucson PHEV doesn't have anywhere to accommodate those two extra pins :-

WillowLeasing.jpg

I assume it's normal to use a public ChargePoint's attached cable, rather than supplying your own? (the latter might - unsuccessfully - connect the two together...)
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
NewMrP

Post by NewMrP »

I believe the DC connectors are for vehicles which support fast charging which the Tucson doesn’t. However, Scotty said that he managed to plug in before getting the red light so I’m taking it that he wasn’t trying to use a fast charger, just a regular type 2 connector one, which fits the cars socket. I recall reading other members having similar issues with certain chargers-Costco comes to mind for some reason- so perhaps someone else can provide the wisdom of their experience….🤷🏻‍♂️
2023 Ultimate PHEV
Dark Teal
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

I used to have an occasional problem both using my home charger and public chargers, however it's been playing nice for the last few months so wondered if there had been a software fix in one of the updates. When I had a problem as well as the red light I would be able to hear a series of clicking noises as though it was having trouble locking the connector. My wife gets an EQA on Friday and I'm looking forward to seeing how the two handle charging in comparison.
1.6 TGDi Plug-in Hybrid Ultimate 5dr 4WD Dark Knight Grey
Berty

Post by Berty »

I've not had a problem with private or public charging. Only once did I not have the charger fully seated in the car and that was it. That would be charging even in other countries with other currencies but I use my Charepoint+ card when out and about which is quite rare I publically charge anyway. I have been granny charging since March but will have a Wallbox Pulsar installed in a week so I'll juice into the car faster.

Actually did have an issue at work with a newly installed charger, somebody turned the isolator off and whole unit needed a reset, was reset at 4:59pm and I left at 5pm. Typical
Based in Ireland :mrgreen:
2023 Tucson Executive Plus PHEV

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post