Malfunction Indicator Lamp & Accelerator Pedal Question

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
TheNextBexThing

Post by TheNextBexThing »

Hi, I picked up my (new to me) used 2019 Tuscon 1.6 GDI SE NAV on Monday from a dealer 4hrs drive away from home.. it’s lovely, I’ve wanted one for a long time & it is a ‘one previous owner’ car, has FSH with 4x main dealer stamps and has around 45k miles on the clock.

When I’d been driving for maybe an hour and a half the malfunction indicator lamp came on.. I completed my journey home (not much choice at that point), I called the local Hyundai garage in the morning & have taken it over and left it with them today. When I checked test the light was still on, today it wasn’t. I wanted to ask if any of you have had any experience of having this warning light appear and if you have any information or advice on the outcome!?

Also, as an aside and unrelated - I noticed that when the accelerator pedal is fully depressed (whilst the engine is either on or off) that the pedal sort of catches just before it is fully depressed. Is that normal?

Really hoping that I haven’t just made a huge mistake buying this car - I’ve waited a long time and tried really hard to make a well informed decision & buy one that has been well looked after and unproblematic.. it doesn’t feel great so far :(

Berty

Post by Berty »

I can't speak to the bulb issue but can to the pedal which is not an issue but normal.

When you put your foot down there is a "bite" of sorts and this means you don't put the car to full revs, if you push passed that point then you get "foot the the floor" acceleration. Below are some images of the 2023 model of the Accelerator assembly which is from my own car. I have this to hand as I replace mine with those from an N-line as I wanted the Stainless steel ones.

Look at the white bit, one image you can see it and the next image is just after your foot pushes on it AND then pushes further pushing into the realm of "foot to the floor" Make sense?

20231004_132212.jpg

20231004_132202.jpg

Based in Ireland :mrgreen:
2023 Tucson Executive Plus PHEV
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

TheNextBexThing wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:34 am When I checked test the light was still on, today it wasn’t. I wanted to ask if any of you have had any experience of having this warning light appear and if you have any information or advice on the outcome!?
The "MIL" illuminates when there has been an error (probably emissions-related) of some sort. A Scan Tool is required to determine exactly what the fault is. Quite why cars can't just display it directly these days, I don't know.
I noticed that when the accelerator pedal is fully depressed (whilst the engine is either on or off) that the pedal sort of catches just before it is fully depressed. Is that normal?
Yes and it's a feature that appears on quite a few cars. Normally, it's used to signify "kick down", i.e. your signal to an auto-gear box, that you want to get a wriggle on :) . It's used on non-autos as well though, for example, the truly hideous Citroen C3 used it to override the Speed Limiter.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
TheNextBexThing

Post by TheNextBexThing »

Thank you both! I took it over and left it with my local Hyundai dealership In Trowbridge (who were incredibly helpful)..

From what you’ve both said I’m hoping that the ‘catching’ feel of the accelerator pedal is normal, I think perhaps as there is potentially an issue with the emissions system, not ideal but hopefully covered under the warranty, that the car was not as powerful as it should be when I was accelerating, hence I ended up fully depressing the pedal and noticing the ‘catch’. Waiting to hear on what the warning light means but your replies have been helpful- thanks again :)
Tucson Ray

Post by Tucson Ray »

Hi!

Is there an update on this? I'm curious as I potentially have an issue with my throttle pedal now too!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post