Calling all PHEV owners !

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

Octopus Go. Without having an EV charger that can be programmed my car would be charged long before 00:30. I guess if you charge using the 3 pin charger that isn't an issue. However I can get the car fully charged in less than 2 hours so all my charge is at 9p pkwh. That said the EV charger wasn't cheap. My wife took delivery of her full electric car today so it should hopefully pay for itself in the long term.
1.6 TGDi Plug-in Hybrid Ultimate 5dr 4WD Dark Knight Grey

David3

Post by David3 »

Yorkie wrote: ↑Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:12 pm Octopus Go. Without having an EV charger that can be programmed my car would be charged long before 00:30. I guess if you charge using the 3 pin charger that isn't an issue. However I can get the car fully charged in less than 2 hours so all my charge is at 9p pkwh. That said the EV charger wasn't cheap. My wife took delivery of her full electric car today so it should hopefully pay for itself in the long term.
Thanks, we're going to assess it over the next few weeks my wife seems to think the daily rate on octopus Go is variable I haven't had a good look yet, I'm just waiting for octopus to get back to me to clarify which model Ohme charger is required if we end up going down that route, it's on our second day on the Go tariff but Emma has already got the washer and dishwasher on timers to come on after 12.30am to make the most of it
Tucson ultimate plug-in with tech pack in Dark Knight grey pearl, not our first colour choice but it was available straight away instead of waiting till next yearπŸ™ˆπŸ˜‚
ExTyke

Post by ExTyke »

David3 wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:57 pm
Yorkie wrote: ↑Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:12 pm Octopus Go. Without having an EV charger that can be programmed my car would be charged long before 00:30. I guess if you charge using the 3 pin charger that isn't an issue. However I can get the car fully charged in less than 2 hours so all my charge is at 9p pkwh. That said the EV charger wasn't cheap. My wife took delivery of her full electric car today so it should hopefully pay for itself in the long term.
Thanks, we're going to assess it over the next few weeks my wife seems to think the daily rate on octopus Go is variable I haven't had a good look yet, I'm just waiting for octopus to get back to me to clarify which model Ohme charger is required if we end up going down that route, it's on our second day on the Go tariff but Emma has already got the washer and dishwasher on timers to come on after 12.30am to make the most of it
The car itself can be programmed to charge at certain times. It's under the EV settings.
Octopus Go is variable. Both the day and night rates have come down recently (although only slightly) and I would expect the day time rate to increase when the cap goes up next year.
Also a word of warning. Many homes have a 60amp main fuse which means maximum draw is around 13kW. This is often upgraded when a charger is installed but it's worth checking. Running the dishwasher, washing machine and charging the car could take you dangerously close to this. The dishwasher is the most difficult for me as the cycle is over three hours and it has two heating cycles (one for washing and another for drying). (I also have a domestic battery which I charge on Go overnight just to add to the risk). As four hours is plenty of time to charge the car battery, I've scaled back my charger to run at 4kW. So I tnow takes around three hours for a full charge. If I have all four items drawing I should still remain under the fuse limit but only just!
Ultimate PHEV in Dark Knight

Ordered 6th Aug 2022
Arrived Tilbury 6th June 23
Collected by me :D 18 June 23
David3

Post by David3 »

ExTyke wrote: ↑Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:17 am
The car itself can be programmed to charge at certain times. It's under the EV settings.
Octopus Go is variable. Both the day and night rates have come down recently (although only slightly) and I would expect the day time rate to increase when the cap goes up next year.
Also a word of warning. Many homes have a 60amp main fuse which means maximum draw is around 13kW. This is often upgraded when a charger is installed but it's worth checking. Running the dishwasher, washing machine and charging the car could take you dangerously close to this. The dishwasher is the most difficult for me as the cycle is over three hours and it has two heating cycles (one for washing and another for drying). (I also have a domestic battery which I charge on Go overnight just to add to the risk). As four hours is plenty of time to charge the car battery, I've scaled back my charger to run at 4kW. So I tnow takes around three hours for a full charge. If I have all four items drawing I should still remain under the fuse limit but only just!
At the minute we're just using the standard 3pin charger so only drawing 2.8kw max I believe 4hrs last night from 14% took it to 89% this morning during the week when Emma uses the car for work there's usually 25-30% Left on the battery so hopefully 4hrs charge should be near enough,
As for the scheduled charging on the car last night was only the second time I've used it but it failed to charge the first night so I went out to check it last night and it wasn't charging again I pulled the plug out of the car and put it back in again and it started charging immediately, the charger is always on ready it doesn't go into a sleep mode or anything so I don't know what the issue is I'll have to check it again tonight but I've double checked the settings in the car and also checked them on the app
Tucson ultimate plug-in with tech pack in Dark Knight grey pearl, not our first colour choice but it was available straight away instead of waiting till next yearπŸ™ˆπŸ˜‚
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

ExTyke wrote: ↑Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:17 am
I'm sure I've posted this before but having an EV charger installed isn't as straightforward as you would think for some. Even though I live in a detached house it turned out I have a looped supply which meant Northern Powergrid had to do a site visit. They checked the fuse box and main fuse which fortunately was 100A. The installer had to do some calculations of all the electrical appliances and add up the total maximum amps I may draw. I had to have a device fitted that I can't remember the name of but it basically throttles the EV charger should everything else in the house plus the 32A charger go over 80A.
Philr

Post by Philr »

Yorkie wrote: ↑Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:15 pm

I'm sure I've posted this before but having an EV charger installed isn't as straightforward as you would think for some. Even though I live in a detached house it turned out I have a looped supply which meant Northern Powergrid had to do a site visit. They checked the fuse box and main fuse which fortunately was 100A. The installer had to do some calculations of all the electrical appliances and add up the total maximum amps I may draw. I had to have a device fitted that I can't remember the name of but it basically throttles the EV charger should everything else in the house plus the 32A charger go over 80A.
Wow! - and electric cars are the future?
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

Philr wrote: ↑Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:34 am
Yorkie wrote: ↑Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:15 pm

Wow! - and electric cars are the future?
It's crazy. The guys in the videos below do a great job at explaining things imho. These are just a few of the things I wish I'd known before.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post