Auto hold

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
italianjob1970

Post by italianjob1970 »

Indalo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:28 pm
Adi.h wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:13 am Any one know how to solve this one?
The way to deal with Autohold is to incorporate it into your start-up regime every time you decide to use the car. You already have to buckle-up your seat belt every trip and it only takes a split-second to press the Autohold button then you’re good to go.

I have selected Autohold every time I have driven my car since my first acquaintance with Autohold in my previous KIA in 2016.
For me, it’s a gift! It makes all types of driving so much simpler and as I have to street-park in some very tight spaces on a busy bus route with razor-sharp slate kerbs, I am thankful for the assistance Autohold affords in such situations.

I have heard some nay-sayers complain that it can be very jerky in those tight parallel parking slots but I have never found that to be the case......not once in 7 years of daily parking, either in my KIA or in the Tucson. In conjunction with automatic transmission and the EPB, the latter of which is only ever manually deployed on extremely rare occasions, it is an absolute gem of a driving aid in my opinion.

If I had a choice, I’d prefer to see Autohold switched on by default but there is no means by which that can be accomplished without major interference into the vehicle electrics.

Use and enjoy!
This is exactly what I do, along with turning the silly lane assistance off.

It's shame it can't remember the settings as my previous Skoda's retained the auto hold/lane assistance on each restart.
23 Tucson 230 HEV

angler333

Post by angler333 »

As a newbie to auto hold, what does it do ?
t.i.a
Philr

Post by Philr »

Saves you having to keep your foot on the brake as it acts as a handbrake. To move away just press the throttle - no need to do anything else.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
angler333

Post by angler333 »

Ah ok. Can't you just put the handbrake on instead. Presumably it is not automatic unlike auto hold
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

It's automatic to release - you just have to manually engage it.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
Berty

Post by Berty »

Also when you engage the handbrake you might not have noticed it(being in the drivers seat) but the car assumes you've parked so will also switch off your daytime running lights.
Based in Ireland :mrgreen:
2023 Tucson Executive Plus PHEV
r0n

Post by r0n »

angler333 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:12 pm As a newbie to auto hold, what does it do ?
t.i.a
There's some decent videos on Youtube that explain auto hold , one of the best videos I found was by Volkswagen which I found explained it well for me , mix it with a couple of videos applicable to Hyundai Tucson explaining where on the dash the auto hold icons appear and that might help you
2023 Tucson - Premium - Petrol - Manual
kassy64

Post by kassy64 »

Hi, sorry to drag up this oldish thread re. Auto hold. Many comments on here suggesting people leave it set ‘on’ each trip they make. It’s new to me so no idea yet if it’s advantages so watched an official video by Hyundai and in it they state make sure for safety reasons to deactivate when driving down hill or reversing. So, why is everyone keeping it in when advised not to by Hyundai for safety reasons. Thanks
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

kassy64 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:57 pm watched an official video by Hyundai and in it they state make sure for safety reasons to deactivate when driving down hill or reversing.
I don’t know what you read but I most certainly don’t understand any reason to deactivate Autohold.

Autohold works uphill, downhill and on level ground - once activated, and you become aware of its purpose and usefulness, there is no reason in an automatic car to touch the EPB in the normal course of events. I have said before in other threads, here and elsewhere, that it’s a real gift, making driving simpler and in a great many situations, rendering the EPB unnecessary.

It only requires a little pressure on the throttle to release the hydraulic brakes and resume progress. Similarly, in the rare circumstance where the driver may wish to engage the EPB, that will be automatically released as soon as a little pressure is applied to the throttle.

Some seem unaware of the difference between the Autohold function and that of the EPB. the former allows the hydraulic brakes to hold the car in position, while the latter is operated by an electrical switch which, in conjunction with the ECU, signals the cable actuated parking brake to operate, just as the 20th century handbrake, a device that even predates the Roman chariots.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

The other difference between autohold and EPB is that autohold keeps the brake lights on and EPB turns them off (and the front daylight running lights). That's why I use EPB in traffic - I find brake lights on all the time a pain when I am sitting in traffic, so I try and be kind to those behind me.

Also, on an uphill slope, I find that when I set off with autohold, the car goes back a few inches before going forward. With EPB, it doesn't.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post