20 mph speed limit Wales 17th September

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

As some of you are aware but the others will now be reading this and be completely shocked
The speed limit in Wales is coming down from 30mph to 20mph on the 17th of September.

As this is a other money making machine for the local councils in Wales as everybody will be expecting fines

The questions that I have is
Not all roads will be coming down to 20mph, say 90%.
So will the car as the front camera change the icon on the dash board or do I have to update the software
for the map?
I think if I can remember that the map software is Tom tom software and will the map been modified ready for the new speed?

And will the cruise control work at 20mph or does the car have a limiter

As this is now going to be interesting driving of a area that your not aware of the speed limit..
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022

jarvis

Post by jarvis »

I think if they actually put "20" signs up, including repeaters then the car will read them. But if the default limit in a built up area (Street lighting, no posted limit) is going to be 20 unless otherwise indicated, the car will be showing 30 until the internal mapping is updated.
Philr

Post by Philr »

Cruise works at 20mph as a minimum.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

Thank you Phil the cruise works great, I will have to try the front camera for the new 20 mph signs when they get uncovered on the 17th of September.
cheers
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel »

From experience, as my village is now all 20mph, it’s 100% picked up by the camera “reading” the road signs. Makes no difference to the idiots who still do 40-50mph on the lane where I am though 🙄
2021 TGDi Hybrid 230 Premium
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

Well the time has arrived and Wales is officially traveling at a snail's pace.

The question I have is
I live in the middle off 2 towns and there is a 20 mph sign going into both towns but no repeaters in 3 miles of them
so the camera on the front of the car cannot pick the 20 mph signs.
And is relying on the map or software in the car, Hyundai must know of the speed changes coming to Wales.

When do you think they will change the software or map so that it changes it to 20MPH instead of 30mph
As its not worth me updating the software at the moment until I now its there, if that make any sense.
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
Nashy

Post by Nashy »

I'm in South Wales every day

Yesterday went to Bridgend for tyres and no 20's registered on maps or the speedo display
TUCSON, PHEV Ultimate in Black
Ordered 21/02/2022
Arrived Tilbury Docks 06/09/2022
Arrived Dealers 19/10/2022
Delivered 07/11/2022 had 8 miles on clock
XADE

Post by XADE »

Actual reasons:

The Welsh government said the 20mph national speed limit would reduce road collisions, road deaths, noise and pollution while encouraging more people to walk or cycle.

I don't understand why you would think it's a money making scam? It will save lives, if you're speeding you shouldn't be driving a car. I am pretty confident they are more knowledgeable about this than average Joe's thining this is about money.

it's the same in Spain, soon to be Scotland, and most likely England. All roads within London's congestion charge zone also have a 20mph speed limit.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

XADE wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:57 am if you're speeding you shouldn't be driving a car.
Correct, you should be on a bicycle instead :) (Speed limits don't apply to bicycles ;) )

Personally, I think 20mph is way too fast. 2 mph would be much safer, especially with a man with a red flag walking in front to warn people ;)

A not so fun fact: one of my relatives was killed (in 1908) by a car travelling at 12mph. The driver had reduced his open-road speed of 18mph when he approached the village. With no Forward Collision Warning and no ABS, the driver instead "Stood up in fright" :shock:
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
XADE

Post by XADE »

PhilHornby wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:24 pm
XADE wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:57 am if you're speeding you shouldn't be driving a car.
Correct, you should be on a bicycle instead :) (Speed limits don't apply to bicycles ;) )

Personally, I think 20mph is way too fast. 2 mph would be much safer, especially with a man with a red flag walking in front to warn people ;)

A not so fun fact: one of my relatives was killed (in 1908) by a car travelling at 12mph. The driver had reduced his open-road speed of 18mph when he approached the village. With no Forward Collision Warning and no ABS, the driver instead "Stood up in fright" :shock:
I do commute on a bike sometimes, that's when you really see the roads and speed some people go.

Let's not pretend this is anything other than situations where peoples kids are run over and killed or given disabilities for life etc. One of my best friends was hit when he was 4 years old at 40mph in a 30mph zone, and never walked again.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post