TYRE PRESSURE READING ON DASHBOARD

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

DrElectron wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:38 am In my experience it's fairly accurate, inflating all the tyres to 35psi on my gauge shows 35 on the car, after a bit of driving they increase to about 37-38 which is expected with a slight increase in temperature, and return to 35 when cooled down again
That is my experience also.

Having accumulated a selection of inflators and pressure gauges over the years, I have learned which are accurate and reliable as opposed to others, no longer used, which can be rather hit and miss in terms of pressure measurement.

Having established which gauge I prefer to rely on, I am able to judge how closely the TPMS reflects the pressures I have set. As with my previous KIA which had a similar TPMS system, I have found the on-board arrangement matches near as damn it my measuring gauges - one analogue and one digital. I quite often turn on the TPMS read-out display in the instrument binnacle to see how the tyres respond with heat while I drive and the changes occur in each tyre at a similar rate.

I make a visual check whenever I approach the car and again when I park up at the end of a trip, relying on the TPMS for information from time to time and that arrangement has served me well. There are changes that need to be made in line with seasonal changes to the ambient air temperature but the TPMS indicates that and is helpful in knowing when action is required.
Last edited by Indalo on Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.

3puddings

Post by 3puddings »

Just looked at the Michelin website, as mine has Michelin tyres and I guess they know more than me.
They say to check tyre pressures when tyres are cold and as per manufacturers recommendations for psi. They also say leave the car for at least 2hrs in order to do that, and that tyres that are hot can show an increase of up to 4psi when checking them.
So what they are advising is that if I inflate my tyres to the recommended 35psi when cold, they can rise to 39psi when the tyres are hot and will presumably show this on my dashboard (if its accurate of course)
2023 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Premium 230 BHP
Hawklord3

Post by Hawklord3 »

Hi have a 2023 ultimate hybrid. Had a frost last week, tyre pressure monitor goes off and shows my front driver side tyre is down 1 bar, I pump it up and give it a run. It still shows it is down by 1 bar, so I pump in a lot more. It is now showing 1 bar above the rest, and have driven it for a few days now, it is still flashing that front tyre saying low pressure, fault??.
Philr

Post by Philr »

How did you pump it up - garage airline, home compressor, foot pump?
What pressure do you think you pumped it up to?
Did you check it with pressure gauge after - not the one on any of the above?
How long a run did you give it?
What is the pressure in the other 3 wheels?
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

There's something wrong somewhere.

My car dash was showing 3 at 34 and one at 33. No error messages though. I pumped them all up to 37 (on my accurate gauge). When I checked next day, they all showed 37. After a few miles 3 of them went up to 38 and the other one stayed at 37. Once again, no error messages anywhere.
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Hawklord3 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:19 pm ...shows my front driver side tyre is down 1 bar, I pump it up and give it a run. It still shows it is down by 1 bar, so I pump in a lot more. It is now showing 1 bar above the rest.
Do you mean 1 bar - almost 15 psi :?: - that would be a fairly major change, normally associated with a nail or screw in tyre. Have you done a physical inspection of the tyre :?:
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

Hawklord3 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:19 pm it is still flashing that front tyre saying low pressure, fault??.
Hi 'Hawklord3’.

Firstly, as it is unusual to hear of tyre pressures in the UK described in bars, are you UK based?

Most UK drivers refer to the PSI scale for their tyres so, as has been queried, did you mean to state the pressure differential in bars as each bar is almost 15 PSI?

It might be worth mentioning that while those TPMS which provide a readout for each individual wheel are fairly accurate, they are nonetheless not necessarily perfect in absolute terms. Moreover, the advice in regard to measuring tyre pressures should be adhered to each time the pressures are checked. Apart from the small differences which may occur between wheels in the rate at which the sensors operate and change the readout, the environment in which they operate is subject to climate.

By way of example, if I check my tyres in mid-morning, the sun may have been shining down on one side of the car while the other side remains in cool shade till afternoon. That causes an initial imbalance in the readout on-screen between each side of the car. Once underway and perhaps having sun on the other side mostly, the pressures will soon equalise.

On my car, I would not expect any warning of a soft tyre until the reading was about 4 or 5 PSI less than other wheels. Differences of one or two PSI are pretty irrelevant but might suggest that one should keep an eye on the matter as it may indicate the beginning of a slow puncture.

A standalone pressure gauge is a useful tool for checking pressures as those tyre inflators with built-in read-outs may or may not be reliable. I can attest to differences between various inflators I have used, some of which are in the depths of no longer used bits and pieces in one corner or another of my shed.

Some owners seem to imagine that by diverging from the manufacturer’s recommended pressures, the ride quality or cornering stability may be improved but those recommendations are based on much testing by professional experts who know a lot more about the ride and handling of passenger cars than the average car owner. Those recommendations are not achieved by the vehicle manufacturer in isolation. The carmakers work with tyre producers to ensure that the selected tyre for a particular vehicle meets all safety requirements relative to the country or region in which the vehicle is intended to operate.

Hyundai, like some other carmakers, recommend standard pressures all round but additionally advise a higher pressure on the rear tyres when the car is fully laden, particularly if most of the additional load is in the luggage area at the back. When I drove my car home from the dealership on first collecting it, I was appalled by the ride quality - it was atrocious! I was almost inclined to turn around and reject the car; it really was that bad. As it bore no resemblance to the car that I had been given for a lengthy test-drive only four weeks before, as soon as I got home, I dug out my favourite pressure gauge just to see how the tyre pressures were. I was disgusted to discover that all of the tyres were mid-40s PSI and hours later, once the ambient temperature had dropped quite a bit, the actual pressures were 42/43 PSI.

My disgust was in the knowledge that the pre-delivery inspection, whether at Tilbury before delivery to the dealership or at the actual dealer’s premises, had failed to identify and correct the pre-transit pressures of the tyres. Once corrected and after a couple of hundred miles of use, the ride was not only better, it was like night and day! So much for PDI!

‘Hawklord3’, it would be useful if you could return with some farther information as many readers of these pages will be curious to know whether you indeed have a slow puncture or perhaps a faulty sensor.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
Unimatrix

Post by Unimatrix »

What should be the correct PSI for the tyres?
For a non fully loaded car?
The only reason i ask is i had been inflating them to around 35PSI and i had my 1st Service a few weeks ago and the dealership inflated them to 40PSI.
So curious as to what the 'norm' is.
2022 Tucson Ultimate Petrol
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Unimatrix wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:25 pm What should be the correct PSI for the tyres?
There should be a 'data panel' on the driver's side door frame - visible when the door is open.

IMG_20231024_153046_edit_130884329423778.jpg

N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Unimatrix

Post by Unimatrix »

PhilHornby wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:35 pm
Unimatrix wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:25 pm What should be the correct PSI for the tyres?
There should be a 'data panel' on the driver's side door frame - visible when the door is open.
Not visible enough haha :D
But i was inflating to the correct PSI before hand.
Curious as to why the dealership over inflates. Maybe one not worth answering...
2022 Tucson Ultimate Petrol

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post